My effects dosent work with my Fender Fretless Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheche32, Dec 24, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

I made myself with a fretless jazz bass american standard and when I ty to use my pedalboard, the same I use with my prcision Jazz bass MIM, and the effects do some strange stuff. This is the short version:

-Sansamp tech 21: sounds normal

-Boss odb overdrive: The distortion sound like someone else was playing at the same time but with distortion in an other amp at a really low volume, while im playing loud with a clean bass.

-MXR Zack Wilde Chorus: It dosent do anything unles iI turn all the knobs at 100% and sounds really awful

-Cry Baby Bass: it only affects the high notes, the low notes dont change a bit even with al the volume and Q knob all turned up
  2. newbold

newbold

Are you sure your batteries have enough juice?

As long as your bass is wired properly you shouldn't have any difference whatsoever.
  3. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Did you wire the pickups yourself? Could they be out of phase? I don't know a lot about the electronic end of things, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.
  4. cheche32

cheche32

I think im gong to upload a video, the pickups are the ones that came with it from fabric (I bought it new) and i use a power supply and a daisy chain, my effects works fine with my fender precison MIM
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

If you could do a little video that would help narrow down the issue a lot.
  7. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Are you using flats?

Most effects work better with rounds.

Flats don't have as much harmonic content.

Also...are both basses the same volume?

Are the pickup heights correct?
  8. cheche32

cheche32

Hi, these are two videos I made this afternoon, am a friend told me that my fretless have a serious problem of lack of sustain, specially in the A and E strings and the effects can't work properly. I played without any effect and I noticed that the slides in those strings sound bad doing them from low to high, the note dies pretty fast, it sounds like I've doing palm mute all the time. This is my first fretless, I don't know what of those things are normal on a fretless and wich ones are issues of my bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5PblxPluw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCs_wOFPfig&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like the strings are shot on the fretless. Other than that, it sounded fine. I actually liked its sound.
  10. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

It's gotta be the bass. Double check the batteries (meaning, put brand new ones in the bass). The strings also sound like butt as Jimmy said. :)

NO but really, I think it sounds weird from what I'm hearing. Maybe try chromes or rounds?
  11. cheche32

cheche32

But my bass don't use batteries. Amm what really affects me its that my effects don't work at all, for example the chorus that its completely missing or the cry baby that only works with the g and d strings and the fact that I cant hold a note and that my slides die pretty quickly doing them from high to low. Do you guys think that a new pair of strings could fix these problems?
  12. cheche32

cheche32

I bought my bass a couple of weeks ago in a store, but the bass is from 2005 and the strings have never been changed, could that be the problem that cause the low sustain and everything else?
  13. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

It's a good place to start at least. Those string are WAY too old to still be on that bass IMO.
  14. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

Go through your process of elimination. Bass/cord/amp first. Use both of your basses, and without changing anything on your amp - are the volumes the same?

Then try your other cord (you use a long one to the pedals and another from the pedals to the amp, right) with both basses.

Eliminate your cords and basses as culprits - With your jazz, try only your neck pickup, then pan back to your bridge pickup - same volume? When both are turned up all the way - same volume? Anything sound weird?

Then try each pedal by itself with each bass...try your jazz with each pickup soloed, then with both volumes up full. Roll your tone all the way up and down.

...what I'm getting at is to approach it scientifically. Very hard to just ask what's wrong on a forum - I play jazz basses and single pickup basses, and neither has problems with effects pedals.
  15. Swift713

Swift713

I've always preferred round wounds on a fretless. You can always roll off the tone knob.
  16. nofretsplz

nofretsplz

I've been playing a Fender Fretless Jazz (MIJ) since 1990, and I also have a fretted MIM Jazz....

For a fretless bass, a great setup and good strings are critical. In my experience, a curved neck will give dead spots, especially at frets 5 and 12. I got much better response from my fretless when I set the neck to dead flat, set the intonation at the bridge, then lowered the A and D strings to get the right amount of "mwah".

Yes, "mwah" is a word--to fretless players, anyway. It is the buzzing sound that occurs when you play a note, then slide your finger up the neck. Dang, I live for that!

For strings--once I bought Tomastik Infelds I've never looked back. They are amazing for fretless.

As for tone and output, your fretless will never be as loud as your fretted bass, especially in the high end. The sustain will not be there, either. They are completely different instruments, and you will need a completely different pedal setup for each. They are both great tools, but they require a differet playing style. When you learn the strengths of each, you will fall in love with both. Just hang in there!