My Fender American Deluxe P/J bass (modified Jazz)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 20, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

I bought and modified this bass about 8 years ago, but just realized I never shared it with the interwebs. So, here's this fella's story....

My "A" bass at the time was a white blonde '00 USA deluxe Jazz. I had a craving for a "P" tone, but wanted to replicate the the Jazz's ergonomics. So, I added this '99 black Amer Deluxe Jazz to the stable. I routed it for a P pickup and had a custom pickguard made. Black on black really makes the hardware pop, doesn't it?

Against my better judgement I dropped in a used set of Seymour-Duncan Lighting Rod pickups (I'm not an active pickup guy).

WOW! Who would have thought they'd have such a chest-punching thump with woody vintage overtones. These pickups paired up perfectly with thuddy Dean Markley flats (now discontinued). The Lightning Rods really should be talked about more. They come with 100K pots and require one 9V battery.

This bass has woody thump and an articulate tight bottom for days. No sparkly modern highs. Just pure meaty tone that bullies through the mix. I get crazy compliments every time he's heard.

I have it wired up with master vol / P-pup vol / J-pup vol / tone controls. Let's me get my P/J mix locked in (80% P) and manipulate overall volume and tone as needed.

Whatcha think?

[​IMG]
  2. vdub75

vdub75

I like P oder P/J modded jazzes!