1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Fender Flats Experience

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jessicabass, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Back in September i ran a poll to pick some flats for me.
    Fender won out so i figured after close to 2 months of play time it would be good to review them.
    I was going to get the 45-60-80-100 but they were out and being impatient i went for the 50-65-85-100 set by iiipopes suggestion.
    Upon first install i was very worried.
    They seemed very tight and sounded very harsh.
    But i said to myself just keep playing them and see what happens.
    For the first 2 weeks i was growing impatient with them and really couldnt find a tone with them that i favored.
    But i did enjoy the feel of them, very smooth and the tension allowed me to get crazy low action that made the stifness actually comfortable to play.
    After the first 2 weeks i took them to a practice with the band and gave them a run through.
    Growly with alot of highs and some harshness still, fit well into the punky songs but for the laid back stuff not so much.
    I kept playing the bass for home practice and noticed after the 4 week mark that they started to change.
    The harshness went away and the growl subsided but was still present and noticed the more rubbery feel to them.
    Played them in many practices but around week 6 is when they just turned into greatness for me.
    The harshness was totally gone, the highs were turning smooth and the growl lowered a little into what now was just a very punchy tone.
    Such authoritative sound with a slight growl that just seemed to fill the room and every time i picked a note that punch was felt and heard.
    Im glad i didnt sway from these at the start.
    Such incredible flats.
    Just wanted to share.

2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Thanks for the post. It's timely for me because I have a set of 45-100s on the way to try on a Fender J for fun. I'll be patient with them.

3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    Yes flats do need quite a bit of patience while they cure. I got my Chromes where I wanted them after a while, now they are perfect.

4. oysteivi

oysteivi

How balanced do you find them? Interested both in string-to-string stiffness and sound.

Oh, and what bass are you using them on?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

I know your Q is directed at op but I'll chime in too. I've been using the 40-60-80-100 set (SL) and though it's not the so called "balanced set" of 45-60-80-105 (CL) I've never felt like they're not well balanced. I've posted before of how I really like the balance in feel between right and left hand also.
    I will echo Jessicabass' observations as well. The harshness is what has mellowed. Still have nice tight low mids, upper mids are very controllable and top end is smooth.
    Oh yeah, Jazz bass. Haven't tried on any other bass yet. Jessica?

7. Itzayana

Itzayana

I have been using Fender SS Flats for a really long time. Like 40 years or so.
    I have a "new" set on my Lakland 44-02. I put them on the bass two years ago when I bought it. These strings get really good, in my opinion, after about a year.

8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I still am finding it hard to believe that the CL set, the 45-60-80-105 set, is discontinued.

One of the best new sets of strings from any manufacturer in years and years, imo.

9. Duckwater

Duckwater

I like their initial harshness and I also like the fatness they develop over a few hundred hours of playing

10. jessicabass

jessicabass

They were put on made from parts p bass.
    I find them to be very balanced imo, but ive never likened to 105 sizes.
    Feel is great and the sound balance from string to string is really fantastic.
    I love the 50G it seems to feel "right" as opposed to the smaller sizes.
    The E string dosent sound like other flats that go dull while the rest of the set stays brighter.

11. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I put flats on my J bass a week ago, first time ever. In my case it was Chromes 45-100. I had been using Ernie Ball rounds in the same gauge. I pretty much loved the flats right off the bat. I didn't hear any harshness. Like the OP I was able to reduce the neck relief and lower my action. I just bought a P bass and am tempted to go flats as well, but reason is telling me I'll have a larger palette of tones available if I keep one base in rounds and the other flats.

12. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

oh yea, I use the 50 - 100 set also. I prefer the new sound for in yer face tone, but the worn in sound is good too.

13. oysteivi

oysteivi

Thanks, that's very helpful, especially as I was considering them for my P-bass myself. I think I'll order a set like yours soon.

14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Um, my suggestion was the CL 45-60-80-105 set that now seems to be discontinued, not the 50-105 set.

15. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

The 50-100 set detunes to D very nice.

16. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Have used these flats on both J and P. Real happy with these. One set is a year old that is on my MIM P, still has excellent tone.

17. Jungy

Jungy

D-standard?

Can't see it working for Drop D. The D would be a lot lower tension I'd imagine.