1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My Fender Jazz dilemma...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Feb 4, 2013.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

I currently own 3 basses: Roscoe SKB3005, Music Man Stingray 4HS, and a Fender Jazz

Here's my issue: I bought the fender jazz bass because so many of my idols played one back in the day. Then, I also have heard so many people say how useful having a fender bass is. "Many engineers prefer to record with Fender basses..." etc. So I got a USA Fender Standard Jazz Bass.

Shortly thereafter I got the Roscoe, and then the Music Man. Now I almost never play my jazz bass. I vastly prefer the Roscoe tone and for certain, specific things, that the Roscoe can't cover tonally, the Stingray's got it covered PERFECTLY. It seems to fill the exact tonal void that the Roscoe can't get to.

So... I'm torn between selling the jazz bass (could really use the money) or holding onto it in case in another few months, GAS hits and I decide I want a jazz bass again
  2. gre107

gre107 Supporting Member

Hold on to it or buy a Sadowsky! Either way you'll have a Jazz bass. Love my Roscoe and Sad as well! Will never sell either of them!
  3. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

my modded jazz became a trade in for my l2k, i miss it sometimes, but i just didn't need such a vintage tone for the projects i'm doing now, and my buddy let's me use his japanese jaguar anyway
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo

Jazz bass is kind of "meh" for a lot of players. Use what you like! :)
  5. bigsnack

bigsnack Supporting Member

I guess it depends if you consider yourself a player, a collector, or a little bit of both! I personally find it to be liberating to keep the herd as thin as possible. It makes it easier (for me) to just focus on playing.
  6. Emibass

Emibass

I played a lot of basses and everytime I take the Jazz it´s like coming home. Plays great, records even better, it mixes effortless. For many might be boring but it´s an incredible instrument in the right hands.
  7. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

I'm a jazz bass fanatic, but if it doesn't suit you, trade it or sell it and buy a bass you like better.
  8. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    I'll always have a Jazz in my arsenal. Even if I don't play it often, I'll never get rid of my Fender GL Jazz Bass. I'll have it until I die.
  9. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

If I'm headed somewhere and I'm not sure what I'll be playing, I will often take my Jazz with Sunbeams or Hybrid Slinkys. The entire tonal range is there on call when required.

If you don't play it and you're not a collector, then sell it.
  10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

If you really need the money and don't play it, just sell it. If you find you need a J in the future, I suspect you'll be able to find one!
  11. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

I definitely considered a Sadowsky jazz bass. But it's hard to convince myself "I never use my Fender jazz bass, so let me spend 3 times more than that on a different jazz bass..."