1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Fender Love Story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wallygator, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Wallygator

Wallygator

I am a 43 year old novice bass player (at best) and after many years of just playing in my living room with headphones on, I suddenly find myself in a band (for fun and maybe an occasional show).

For years I never bothered with Fender, I found them boring to look at and dubbed them "old guy" basses. Instead I worked through a number of "cooler looking" basses. BC Rich, Washburn, Jackson and ESP were more my style...

I decided when I knew I was going to be jamming with a band to treat myself to a new bass and started doing research here and abroad. Almost unanimously the Fender P kept getting recommended over and over again. I noticed many of the bands I was seeing live utilized the fender P and even some (high profile) 6 string playing friends suggested them as well. So I took the plunge on a used honey Blonde Classic 50's P.

As for the next few band practices, I cycled through the P, the more expensive ESP, the Washburn and lastly, my Jackson. It was like a lightbulb went off. None of the other basses came close (ok maybe the Jackson held it's own) but the P just sounded right and just as importantly "felt" right as well.

No muss, no fuss...plug it in and turn up the tone and she is always ready to burn. Since then I have added a beater MIM standard and now a beautiful Sunburst/Maple MIA standard to my collection. Nothing else feels quite right to my hands or my ears anymore. I am sure there are "better" bases but for me it's the P...my hunt is over (for now anyway) :bassist:

2. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Welcome to the "crow is an acquired taste" club.

Not only did I swear off Fender once upon a time, I swore I would never have a sunburst finish instrument.

Well, that died out in my early 30s.

3. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Man - if I got paid a dollar every time I heard a story like this, I could probably buy a P-bass!

I don't think I'll ever understand why folks take the position that you took in the beginning of your story - that of Fender being "boring, uncool, old-guy basses". Super-cool youguns play these basses in every generation; the premise just baffles me.

However, I'm glad that you found what works for you. Congratulations, and rock those Ps!

:bassist: :bassist:

4. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

Welcome brother.

I was the same way, only with Jazz basses. Isn't it funny how, no matter what age we are, we often 'mature' as bass players in our preference of instruments??

Cheers!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You just became old enough to understand the appeal of the old guy bass. It doesn't invalidate how you felt when you were younger. Then again I've had a sunburst with tort P since I was 17 years old and I've always loved that look. And yeah, it's got flats too, though that's a recent development if you count time geologically.

7. prokfrog

prokfrog

Same deal. Shrugged off Fender for over 20 years. Only my preference is the Jazz Bass. Its the gold standard. The sound thats been in my head, but could never get. 17 basses later....

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

@OP. You really need to try a Steve Harris then. I've always been a Fender guy but the SH has truly become my Favorite Fender of all time.

9. Wallygator

Wallygator

I spent my youth concerned more with the look of the bass and wanting something flashy and "different" and I was an 80's metalhead (still am LOL) so the pointy looks and crazy colours were part of the appeal. :)

10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    ... Fender basses are icons. Both aesthetically and functionally - they are well executed industrial design solutions. Pick any generation/era from its inception in '51 to now. Tally up the percentage of players of all types/styles of music and of all ages playing a Fender, or Fender style/copy bass. Maybe its just me, but I just don't see it as a age related brand.

11. autodidact

autodidact

I know this story.

Swore I'd only play active basses. After 6 years and almost a dozen basses my heart was stolen by a Squier Classic Vibe Precision. Been wifed up for 2 years. Im thinking about an affair with a P5'er tho :bag:

12. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

He he he......if you think you like the P bass now , wait till you hear it with an Ampeg classic rig to push it through. Just don't play it through one till you can afford one. The jonesing can be unbearable lol.

13. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Previously ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Supporting Member

Guilty!!

I have had so many basses and worked in so many bands and really never liked the feel or sound of Fenders. Way back I picked up an early 70s P bass. Painted it blue (ala Steve Harris). Engineers at sessions always loved it and it annoyed me that they always asked me to play the "P" instead. I never dug the neck too much. Sold it eventually.

Picked up a squier some years back and that changed everything.

I now own ALL Fenders (9 of them) and most are sunburst! It is the Jazz bass which is my weapon of choice nowadays but I realize for a lot of music the Precision bass fits in the audio spectrum so well, even more than the Jazz bass.

Still nothing wrong with 'non-Fender' basses as I played most out there for the 1st half of my playing life. But the basic Fender, IMO, is all that's really needed. For me anyway.

14. marko138

marko138

When I first started I didn't want anything to do with Fender, for many of the same reasons. Now I can't imagine playing anything else. I don't play bass in a band anymore but if I did my J or P would be my 2 work horses. Not my ESP or Ibanez.