1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My first 5 string and first local dealer buy.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Got a call mid week saying it was in. Dealer made a point to say "it is PERFECT". OK I'll be in Sat to get it. I was coming down with a cold so no rush.

Picked it up today but dealer was not in, had a lackey running the store. After some searching for the down I had on it and the paper work I checked out. Did not notice any flaws but the back of the neck seemed to have a dent in it. Later I found it was like a wax build up that came off. The Depression was there but ever so slight.

I paid about 60 more then I would have on say Ebay because I am told you get better service Etc. I am not so sure. This is a new bass and I have taken photos of the flaws or damage. Nothing to return it over. I might have the tuner with with the flaw in the black finish replaced and the pick up cover looked at but other then that I'll keep it. Just not sure the 4 week wait with flaws for a bass that is supposed to be better then the B stock dealer said you get on line was worth it. I think I could have done this well or better with Sam Ash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First pickup cover sets crooked and the screws don't seem to adjust it straight.

[​IMG]

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Nice bass but I agree, it has a few flaws on it that one doesn't normally see on a "new" bass- hmm...
    For some of the light scratches, or finish flaws, try some scratch remover. I use Novus #2 (for fine grain) and #3 (deep scratch remover) you can pick up on ebay or amazon pretty inexpensively. Just got a 8 oz of #2 just today in fact, bought it for $6. (you can buy smaller sizes of course)
    Always good to have, I've used this to remove fine surface scratches on used basses I buy on CL and it does a pretty good job- (doesn't work for deep scratches of course, but even with those, it will make them far less obvious).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVUS-Guita...448?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5adf33d808

3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

You think the dealer could buff them out? ON my CMG I put a scratch in it and used guitar polish on it and it helped it about 50%.

Considering the flaws I am not so sure this bass is not from B stock. If I brought in this bass having bought it from Ebay dealers my local dealer would have been all over it accusing it of coming from B stock.

4. Maxdusty

guitar polish is okay but it puts a layer of wax over the bass, doesn't really remove the scratch but hides it a bit by filling the scratch with wax, but even that wears out and the scratch is still there. The Novus product I mentioned is a scratch remover, so it actually buffs it out permanently if it isn't too deep. I think the Dealer will use a similar product if he agrees to clean it up for you.
    I would probably give the Dealer a call though and mention the flaws that you discovered, I don't know what the return policy is but the crooked pickup that won't level along with the scratches warrant a call.
    Black basses are notorious for having scratches show up fairly easily- reason why I bought a large bottle of the Novus. I use it about once a month and keep the basses look great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I am going to tell him about the issues and ask him if he feels it has b stock qualities. I don't care what he does or does not do about it but when I go back to buying from on line and bring a new bass into his shop and he tries to lecture me I'll bring this bass up.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

As I said in the other thread, I don't understand why you reward this liar by buying from him. Now you seem to have been lied to again - that does not look like a brand new just taken out of the box bass to me. I would not accept the damage it has, certainly not without some compensation.

9. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Well lets see? I can buy from the apparent liars on line or from a local shop keeper you say is a liar. Is there a third buying option? I don't know what else you'd expect me to do to who else to buy from.

This guy says he stands 100% behind his stuff so we'll see how it goes. At worst I get a bass with two scratches and learn a lesson that I need to buy them off a rack. Of course there is very limited choices here. Only the one local shop or driving 150 to 200 miles north.

10. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Are these liars online in particular or are you being cynical?

I mean, this shop owner is verifiably full of it.

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I have yet to buy from some online store or directly from manufacturers and had someone give me a bad deal, and I have bought a *lot* of stuff, not only music gear, sight unseen over the web.

Your local store owner has however proven by his own words (as per your other thread) that he is not to be trusted.

I know what I would do given the choice to buy from large online stores or a local store where I have been lied to.

I bet the online store has way better return policies and support as well, I would not be surprised if this local store owner will be very reluctant to take the bass back or even give you a better price. I do hope I'm wrong though because I do not wish you will have a problem.

12. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Funny thing about the United States-everyone complains about small local shops going out of buisness-the fact is that in the age of outsourcing, online shopping and big box retail-small brick and mortar shops need to step it up a notch and provide people with that little extra service you cannot get online-

Problem is-(And I hate to see anyone go out of buisness or loose their job) many of these small places just don't seem to care about the customer.

13. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

If you know what you're looking for, you'll find that the vast majority of traders online are reputable. If you use PayPal and/or a credit card, then you're definitely covered for any fraud.

This guy is full of it. I would just go with buying online.

Where I live there are two music stores that are local. One is in my town, one is in another town. There was a third but that closed down a few weeks ago (and they were fantastic and I was very sad to see them go). The shop in my town is run by a competent man that does know what he's talking about (mostly) but sometimes has a bad attitude and stocks mainly low-end instruments.

The other shop looks shady but is ok. A reasonable selection but it's not what I want in a shop.

So, either I go out of my way and into outer London to shop and pay the London prices, or I shop online. I've bought from numerous online stores and I've never had a single problem with them. If the item wasn't as promised, they've sorted it. I've bought from eBay and never had a problem there either.

Given that your local dealer seems to be screwing you, then I would look online. There are plenty of reputable dealers all over.

14. Maxdusty

I live in a small town and usually have to resort to buying online. There is a GC about 40 miles away I go to every now and then. To be honest with you, I want to support the mom and pop music stores but the ones I've been to and experienced first hand don't offer anywhere near the kind of protection buying from GC does.
    Sounds like your local music store owner knows that choices are limited in your area and is being an arse about it (we have one here too... noone really buys from him either, store is always empty). He should perhaps go by the way of the dodo bird. I would recommend buying online and from reputable dealers or sellers.

15. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    I know big chains can suck, and even though Musician's Friend is owned by Guitar Center, they have a very easy return policy...no questions asked, and they pay shipping back if it's damaged/defective.

My vote, though? Sweetwater. Not only do you get the above, but you can see pics online of the EXACT bass you want. I'm picky as hell, so this was awesome for me and my Ibanez.

I'd go Sweetwater.

16. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I am indeed a cynic but I have had the same experiences via both modes of buying is all I was saying. Just called the shop and am taking it in. When I asked about sending it back for a new one he sounded very hesitant.

I know he can fix the two issues of pick up cover and ratty tuner but I don't know about the scratches. I think it was only in there clear coat. They are not deep. Hard to see, my camera actually makes them viewable.

17. Maxdusty

If that's the case, the scratch remover should remove it completely. The shop owner probably has some in his store he can use on your bass- worth asking.

18. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Metalbasspro seems to enjoy buying basses from dubious retailers who sell b-stock at full price, whether online or in person.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

That pickup cover isn't a flaw. It's the pickup turning because it doesn't have enough foam underneath. Take it out & add some foam to level it out. Game, set, match.

Also, is that a JS3 or a CBX?

20. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/got-new-bass-mail-today-1009390/

At least that thread outed Austin Bazaar as one of those retailers. Haven't shopped from them since.

21. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

CBX so more expensive. I want it right understandably. I could fix the issues sure but it's not my job.