My First Build, or a High School Project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cellwelder, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Gee, I wish I had a commercial affiliation. I could use a little more spending money...
    Right, so after all the questions, about 400 dollar's worth of materials, and hours of learning how to use Sketchup, I started my build.

I'm planning to make a through-neck bass with Teak and some Rosewood for a fretboard. I have about an hour in my shop class to work on it, roughly 2 to 3 times a week.

My woodworking skills aren't up to par, so everything looks rather rough. Hopefully I can mend this out along the line.

Anyways, after 5 classes, I have the neck roughly cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll keep posting updates of my build process throughout. Thanks for all the help that you guys gave!

Rick

2. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Gee, I wish I had a commercial affiliation. I could use a little more spending money...
    On a side note, I hope you guys can see the photos posted. I'm not sure how to post the photos directly yet...

3. Splods

Splods

Media:
    I can't see anything. I'm not good at explaining how to do it, but there are a few guides out there.

4. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That did the trick.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the shop that I work in doesn't have a planing machine, so I had to use the manual planer. When my shop teacher was teaching me how to use it, he knocked a good chunk out of the headstock. I cried a bit on the inside, but luckily I still have wood to use and glue that on...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    This chain of entries really shows my organization with things... Here's my planned design. Well, I guess it's more of a guideline, since I already changed my mind on the headstock design...

[​IMG]

7. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Update! Sorry it's been almost 3 weeks since my last update, we had a school trip to southern China for a week, and the first class I had to work on this when I got back, the power was out.

On the upside, the truss rod I ordered came in time, so I was able to install it when we could use the power tools.

[​IMG]

The channel I routed with a router. Rather sketchy, not my best routing job...

[​IMG]

Luckily, the truss rod fits snugly, and the adjustment cavity is nicely done. Hopefully over the weekend I can get the fretboard cut to it's dimensions, since my teacher doesn't want everyone in the class to "die" from rosewood dust...

8. joseplluissans

joseplluissans

Whoah! Did you do that freehand? Why not use a guide?

9. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Well, the guide that the shop teacher had couldn't be used apparently, because the neck was already tapered. I thought that if I do mess up a bit, the fretboard will cover it anyways, so it wouldn't matter too much...

10. Splods

Splods

Media:
    Always use a guide man. It's better if you rout the slot before you do anything else to the neck, as it's usually the easiest time. You are very lucky that you had a solidly steady hand. Hopefully the neck doesn't shift too much.

But you live an learn right?

11. strangedejavu

strangedejavu Supporting Member

Media:
    wow you had a lot of luck freehanding that. You are lucky the bit did not grab.

12. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Update!

In the past 2 classes, I focused on the headstock and made a simple jig to help out with cutting the fret slots.

[​IMG]

The design on the back of the neck. I guess I wanted something a little bit unique, so I changed it up a bit from the original sketch.

[​IMG]

The cut out headstock. Still have a bit more sanding to do, but came out rather nice, I think.

[​IMG]

Here's the jig that I made for the fret markers. I still think it's a bit too primitive, but the tests I've run seem to be fine... Oh, and those in the corner are the tuning pegs I plan to use.

I plan to get the fretboard cut out this Friday, since we don't have school that day. Apparently, it's supposed to be a learning day for teachers. Hopefully, while I'm there, I can get the big chunk of Teak I have cut down to size for the body, since the table saw here is too small.

13. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Another Update

So having failed to get my rosewood cut (the place I planned to go was closed for some reason), I decided to work some more on the headstock.

[​IMG]

Here I have the neck with the headstock cut down to about a 1/2 inch thickness, and all the holes measured and drilled. It took me a while to find the elusive 9/16 drill bit...

[​IMG]

A closer view of the headstock from the back. I still need to sand off the areas where the neck meets the headstock, but I'm going to wait until I get that fretboard cut.

[​IMG]

And here's the test fit of the machine heads. They fit rather nicely. If anyone's wondering, these are Gotoh bass tuners I picked up at an ESP shop.

From the looks of it, I may need a string retainer similar to that I see on Yamaha's. I also hope I have some room for it, since the distance from the closest machine head to the nut is a little more than an inch...

14. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Looking forward to seeing more progress. Sub'd

15. joseplluissans

joseplluissans

You won't need a retainer for the closest two machineheads. For the two furthermost it will be practical.

16. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

You're in high school in Thailand? Your English is remarkably good.

And that looks like a great start. Where are you sourcing your electronics?

17. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    I bought the electronics in Japan last January. I ended up running all over town looking for the parts. I'd buy a pickup at one store, and then go to several others to find potentiometers, capacitors, and audio jacks because the first store either didn't have the right part, or they were sold out.

Also, English is my primary language. I've been living abroad a lot.

18. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Right, time for another update!

So since I don't have my fretboard or my body pieces cut out yet, I got some templates done in the meantime. And as I was drawing out the body, I realized I bought WAY to much wood. I could have cut my cost down by 150 US dollars equivalent if I brought my plans to where I bought the wood. But I guess it's nice to know that I have plenty to use either if I mess up, or have some time left over to make a stand.

[​IMG]

Here's the 2 templates put together. It was nice to know that all my guidelines matched up.

[​IMG]

This is a closer look at the body. From what I can tell, I made some minor adjustments from the sketch I did earlier, as per my teenage spontaneous nature. Also, the pickup cavity isn't quite exact. I'll probably put it a little closer to the neck since it's a neck pickup, and to make room for a future bridge pickup if I manage to find one.

19. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    Nice looking bass your building there. Nice to see someone else attempting to build an instrument in high school. Although I give you credit for building your neck from scratch as well. I've gone the safe route and bought a neck premade.

20. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

You're a lefty? Or the pictures are mirrored?

21. mick46

mick46

I see problems with the flat headstock !