1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

My First Build "The Continental"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by seedubs, Jan 17, 2014.

1. seedubs

seedubs

Aug 7, 2012
    it all started when my hero's started playing high end custom basses. when i had saved up as much money as i thought basses of this quality would cost, i quickly realized the only way i would ever own one was to build it myself. did lots of research and came to the conclusion i would try and utilize the best elements of the best custom basses available. see if you can guess what the two biggest influences were.
    the neck is a 7 ply laminate including rock Maple, Purple Heart and one Macassar Ebony stringer down the middle with an Ebony fret board and head stock.it is a "radius" tone block consisting of rock Maple and Purple Heart. The body is Swamp Ash with a Claro Walnut highly figured top from Southern California.
    The duel stack Pickups were custom wound by Kerry Nordstrand with passive/active electronics by Pope.
    All other hardware was provided by Hipshot. The Bass is to be enjoyed with a Cuban Cigar and 24 yr old single Malt. Hense the name "The Continental" thanks for checking out my first build. P.S. I did have a great master to keep me out of trouble.
    Finished shots- https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3G4TcsmGo2ehW;9034A22D-7D08-4243-BF32-DBCF7B1436EC

2. Zwieke

Zwieke

Oct 21, 2005
    Beautiful!
    I especially love the way the scarf joint came out on the back!

3. Sponsored by:

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Eastern Wisconsin
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that is a nice piece of walnut.

5. pfox14

pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    Very beautiful bass. Congrats. Love the purple heart in the laminated neck.

6. seedubs

seedubs

Aug 7, 2012
    Thanks guys! Ill Post Some Clips Soon.

7. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    Very nice bass! That walnut is BEAUTIFUL.

8. haas

haas

Jan 30, 2012
    Santa Clarita, CA.
  9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK
  10. seedubs

seedubs

Aug 7, 2012
    Is the age of selfies. It slipped in there.apologies

11. looks great! How does it feel?

12. seedubs

seedubs

Aug 7, 2012
    It is sooo buddery. way nicer than anticipated. still adjusting to the expanded tonal variety. my technique is improving as a result. records great too. It sounds sorta like i thought it would . darker than expected but im still exploring the vast filters in the pope system. almost too much control.