1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My First Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iVanilla, Dec 28, 2013.

1. iVanilla

iVanilla

I've been reading up on guitar building, electronics, etc, but I'm cautious to start my first build. I feel like I know what i need to do, but at the same time I have absolutely no idea. Advice on getting over the butterflies and actually starting?
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Why not start out with a kit? Easier, less stress and will produce a decent instrument.
  3. iVanilla

iVanilla

Perhaps, but all the kit's I've looked at (and its not that many since i got increasingly discouraged) ended up being more expensive that the bare materials I would get. I imagine my first build like my first car- closer to junk but still working.

What would happen if i took mahogany plywood (two sandwiched together) for the body of a bass? I read this somewhere. Dunno if its a good idea though.
  4. Digitalheadless

Digitalheadless

I've just received a headless kit for Christmas/birthday after almost 28yrs of yearning for one. I started looking at kits (due to the expence of Steinberger's ect), a while back, even to the extent of starting from scratch. The part that's niggling me most is the electronics, even though I used to Bass a lot years ago, this part haunts me the most. So your not alone, even after digging around forums and youtube - Now I have a box and bags full of parts, and like you umming and arhing :)

Take the plunge and enjoy it :)
  5. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

What you want to accomplish by building basses?
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Do not build a body out of plywood. Bad choice of materials. I've seen some of SAGA's kits and they are pretty cheap. Don't think you could get all the parts and materials any cheaper. I have never built one myself and I know the quality isn't fantastic, but you get the whole thing in one package.
  7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

8. clay71550

clay71550

I have put together several guitars and basses. I have bought the bodies on ebay as well as most of the hardware and electronics. I have a marcus miller signature bass that I bought several years ago and paid about $900 for. This summer i was able to build the same guitar with the exception of a mm neck for just over $500. The neck I used I got new from Rondomusic.com and looks just like the miller except it is lighter. There are ways to build cool guitars and basses other than kits.
  9. Beej

Beej

Nearly every question you can generate will be answered by the sticky threads at the top of this forum - I recommend reading or at least skimming all of them.

As a next step, draw out your bass design fullsize to scale. Either by taping together a bunch of paper or getting a roll of it at an office supply store. You can just draw a long centreline about 4' or 1.3m down the page. Mark your nut, your bridge line (based on the scale you want), your 12th fret (midpoint) and then start drawing out your design. Once you've worked it all out, you can use your drawing as a fullsize template to start building.

I'd recommend something easy for starters, like a flatsawn maple neck and an alder body or the like. Once you start the process, things will start to fall into place, and any questions you generate can be posted up here - this community is amazing and will help you through the process. We've done it before, we'll do it again... :D

Welcome to Luthier's Corner, where building addictions are made...
  10. iVanilla

iVanilla

Thanks for the warning- I wont be using plywood.
    Thanks for all the awesome advice. Perhaps I'll get used parts off ebay for now. Thanks so much, guys!