1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My first NBD: Epiphone EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milk, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Milk

Milk

Well now I can shut up about never having owned more than one bass in all 17 years of playing. It had to be an affordable model and it is. It's actually a 2008 EB-3 but the guy who owned it was a guitar player and barely ever touched it so it looks nearly new. I paid 240 canadian with a fender gig bag included. Not bad I feel. It's about 400 Canadian new normally I think. And I actually needed a better gig bag than what I had....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(gratuitous shot cause I like to show off my gretsch guitar....)
    [​IMG]

I'm not gonna lie, I only tried it for like 15 mins but it's gonna take a lot of twiddling before I know if I like it. For one it has a terrible neck dive. I may have never owned another bass but the Ibanez in the pic, but I had tried a few of course throughout the years and this is the first bass I ever tried that has a neck dive. Wow that's annoying... I have to do something, if it involves taping a brick to the body, it'll be done. :p

The tone well..it's different than what i'm used to to say the least. Not sure I can make use of the mudbucker to be honest (it kinda makes the bass overdrive easy...). But I need to mess with my amp settings and see what I can truly get out of it before I make any kind of definitive statement about that. Also, the strings are new (which unlike most people I do not like) and not my usual gauge or brand and more importantly, the bass needs a setup. A fair amount of buzz on the E and A string. I'm gonna try raising the action a bit but I think it might need truss rod work which I am often loathe to mess with too much (ive done it but I don't trust myself...).

one thing for sure, it looks killer... that's why I wanted to try it in the first place. I went for looks first...for better or worse. Giving it a month. If I don't like it, it'll be easy to resell for about what I paid. As I said its in perfect shape pretty much.

A nice surprise anyway, I didn't know the EB-3 was actually long scale...thought it was short like the Eb-0.... If it can stop neck diving (and buzzing), I think in term of neck feel it might be better than my Ibanez anyway.

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Nice bass. This was also the first bass I bought new. A good wide strap will help with neck dive. Don't be afraid of the truss. Tiny adjustments go a long way.

3. Milk

Milk

Well its not new new but it might as well be...

Also I guess this is my second new bass day, aside from the first all these years back.:- but its my first hmm...second bass.

I messed with settings more. I'm getting a tone much closer to what I like now but still not perfect. If I can get my "default" tone, i'll definitely keep it. And yeah fixing the neck dive is an imperative now because this is the big thing otherwise. If I let go of the neck....well, the headstock would hit the floor possibly. It's that unbalanced. I have an habit if im hitting an open string for a bit to let go of the neck entirely.... cant afford to do that here. It's actually hurting my fingers from the weight it puts on my fretting hand...

4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Nice wide padded strap that won 't slip will help more than anything with the neck dive issue .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Milk

Milk

yeha I figured... my strap is really slippery. This sucks cause I like it otherwise (my Ibanez is perfectly balanced, never been an issue) and DONT like wide straps. Oh well, I guess ill have to.