My first pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EvFalselight, Jan 24, 2013.

1. EvFalselight

EvFalselight

I got the bass, and i got the amp i wanted... but now i want to buy a new set of pedals to make a nice versatile pedalboard...

My style of sound is sometimes can be the boomy, punchy lows with a slinky trebles for slapping and hopings...
    and some times also for a good filling finger playing,
    and some times i like to use delays trying to get a clear sound when combining low and high strings together,
    without humming and keep it all bright and calm....

I was thinking about a bunch of options...
    A compressor - i read good feedbacks about Demeter Compulator, and EBS Multicomp which i tried and loved.

An Equalizer - only got the Boss GEB-7 for an option.

A Preamp - Darkglass microtubes B7K which is an insane way to boost some bass and perfect for live shows!

or save the money and buy Boss GT-10B and that's it...

what do you say?
  2. alec

alec

Zoom B3
  3. Adrisss

Adrisss

If you're not planning to have tons of different sounds, I'd suggest a few individual pedals.

For the most usable on bass I'd say :

- tuner, got a polytune noir, it works like a charm
    - compressor, I'm planning to get the Empress one.
    - drive, I use a B3K, couldn't find something better than this one !
    - fuzz, My TAFM rocks.
    - delay, none on my board
    - chorus, I use the IE polytope.
    - enveloppe filters, none on my board also
    - preamp/DI, MXR M80.

Hope it could give you some ideas ! I'm really happy of the sounds I can get with this board, but the most important thing is to find the right pedals to better fit your needs !

Go try them !
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I like this list I would also look at a Tone Hammer,Rusty Box and far as compressor anything from FEA Labs is among the best of the best.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EvFalselight

EvFalselight

thanks for the advices guys but you didn't wrote anything about the stuff i suggested...
  7. Adrisss

Adrisss

That's right !

Regarding the 2 comp' you listed I'd say you can't go wrong with them, also if you loved the EBS, you should go for it ! As long as an effect offers what you're looking for on your own stuff, then don't hesitate !

If you want more informations regarding compressors, go check "ovnilab" it's really complete and it's made by a TBer.

I'm not a big fan of EQ, as my preamp, amp and basses are all able to provide all the EQ I would need, though if you want to be able to get even more tonal versatility, go for it ! Yet, try the boss carefully as it's not true bypass and it could modify your dry tone. So try it when all your chain is up and check if it's not messing with your tone or with the sound of your other effects, when it's on aswell but also when it's off !

Finally the B7K, well it's a enhanced B3K ... I've never tryed it but it looks even better than it's little bro' so you can go for it aswell ! Both as a preamp or as a dirt only !

And +1 to Mjac28 !
  8. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

tuner
    • i don't have a tuner on my board but the tc electronic polytune mini noir is topping my list as well.
    compressor
    • are you sure you need one? do you have volume spikes? is your tone too 'airy' and 'bright'? +1 on checking out the ovnilab site, it has a wealth of information and is hosted by our tb friend bongomania.
    equilizer
    • i wouldn't bother if you're getting a decent pedal preamp, it would be kinda redundant unless you're using it first in your chain to adjust your bass signal going into your effects. in this case a better option would be to upgrade the preamp in your guitar.
    • conversely, i use a ews bmc to great effect, and move it around my board often to adjust the mid-tone where needed. right now i'm using it as a low-mid boost at the end of the chain. i originally got it to adjust the mids going into the board, but found i like the sound of my bass just fine without it. if i could have only one effect, (and i didn't own a submarine) this would be it. great for controlling the signal going into drive/fuzz etc...
    preamp
    • ews/xotic get much love around here... check out the 3 leaf enabler for some cool 'end of chain' options.
    • i've tried an aguilar tonehammer and absolutely loved it, but it was redundant on my board with the preamp i already have (submarine designer), which isn't in production anymore.
    • the darkglass b7k is an excellent option to cover your drive/preamp/di needs in one box. but you must like 'modern' drive tones to really appreciate it.
    • also look at the sansamp paradriver. it has an excellent eq section, di and a fairly decent drive tone, and isn't too expensive. i recommend this over the bassdriver since it has mid-control which is crucial for bass imho.

cheers!
  9. EvFalselight

EvFalselight

Thank You very much!!!