My First Recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by WallyN, Oct 19, 2013.

1. WallyN

WallyN

So as a young bass player (43 years old) I find myself in my first band through an amazing program in Toronto called the League of Rock...

We recently got to go into a studio and record a song that of course my friends and family say is great but I would like some non-biased opinions. Especially non-biased BASS players...

https://soundcloud.com/wally-norton/good-morning-little-schoolgirl

2. WallyN

WallyN

bump, dont be afraid to butcher. :)

3. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Hey Wally!....sounds good buddy. Tone on bass sounds good too.

The only thing I would suggest for this particular song is some melody pre chorus or pre verse.

Also....holy cow! How tall is your singer lol

Dean

4. Wallygator

Wallygator

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

This is an excellent first recording. That's some good blues you guys are laying down.

It seemed just a little "lifeless" though. It's as though you were all trying so hard not to make a mistake that you performed everything very "straight".

As you grow comfortable with your skills and performances you will develop your own character and it will come out in your playing. It's not really anything I can put my finger on. Just know that you will soon be able to add little things, slurs, staccato, hammer-ons, accents, and other dynamics that will make your performances even more musical and interesting.

I was tapping my toe and enjoying the ensemble. The bass part was solid. The singer had a Janis Joplin vibe. I liked the way the guitar parts were arranged and how the first verse drums were kind of laid back, then the second verse dug in. Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff