1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My first time ever :D

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by giacomini, Jan 27, 2014.

1. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Today I bought a double bass. Never had even played one before, but I saw my friend's ad on facebook and thought well, why not?

Scored a cheap plywood Brescia 4/4 upright bass for little money and after half an hour drive my living room feels little for this monster!

I can't even find the notes right on the massive fingerboard but I'm excited to learn it. Been playing BG for almost 6 years but learning the double bass feels like learning a new instrument. Maybe it's because of the longer scale... I guess it'll be a matter of getting used to it.

Forgot to take pictures today...

2. bassteban

bassteban

Congratulations, you now have a real bass. Get a teacher so you can really play it. :)

3. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

It is a new instrument, totally.

Be careful, listen to your body: it is easy to hurt yourself playing this beast. A teacher can help you find the way to play that won't.

4. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

There is a lot of wisdom on the double bass side of the board, but I would like to join the continuing echo you will hear: find a teacher and take at least half a dozen lessons to get you going. Even if you are an accomplished electric bassist, the technique is extremely different. Major injuries are a very real threat that can be greatly reduced by a good foundation in technique and killing any bad habits before they have a chance to start.

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/34..._TOP_TEN_MISTAKES_MIGRATING_PLAYERS_MAKE.html

Outlines that there are a lot of differences between electric and double bass, but I'm sure you've already figured that out.

Best of luck with it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassist1962

bassist1962

The tuning is the same, you can use the same 'patterns, but the fingering is slightly different, your body dynamics are different, etc. Congrats on the bass, but if you have never played played one before, (broken record) find a teacher. And yes, it will take some getting used to. Good luck.

7. giacomini

Disclosures:
    I will get a teacher.

It feels like I'm using too much strength to hold, pluck and reach things, so I guess proper technique is the way to go.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

You're wise to get a teacher. As has been said, you really could hurt yourself. Given this:
    ...it may be the case that the bass is poorly set up and is causing you to struggle. It could be a matter of technique. It could be both. A good teacher will help you to evaluate all of that.

Welcome to the dark side. :)

9. giacomini

Disclosures:
    Already enrolled for double bass lessons! :) Starting next wednesday.

The receptionist wasn't sure if I'll have both pizz and arco, so let's see how it goes next week...

After the first couple lessons I'll ask the teacher to take a look in my bass set up, since there are no double bass luthiers around (my friend told me he had to drive 180 miles to get a broken neck fixed).

10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing of your progress as I am on the road to buy my first UB sometime soon (I've been playing EB for around 25 years).

11. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

You never forget your first.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very cool that's one of my goals I want a DB congrats.

13. giacomini

Disclosures:
    I had my first lesson yesterday.

The teacher is a great guy. We started to sort out positioning and getting some sound out of the bass. He sounds much louder, of course, but my RH is starting to behave and pluck those strings right... :D

He asked me to bring my bass to the lessons and he will set it up properly so I can practice without extra unnecessary effort (hopefully the bass can be adjusted :D )

I will be looking for a bow, since my bass didn't come with one and the teacher wants me to practice both arco and pizzicato so I can develop both techniques and achieve good intonation.

I'm enjoying this new venture into the lower end world so far!