1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My fretboard looks funky, should i be worried?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elBandito, Oct 25, 2013.

1. elBandito

elBandito

Just put together a parts bass, and the fretboard on my MIM neck looks like orange puke. It looks worse in person than in the pics. It's too late the return the neck. What can I put on the fretboard to get it glossy and dark looking like american fender necks?

Attached Files:

2. strangedejavu

strangedejavu Supporting Member

I honestly love the look of it. That has beautiful coloring in it. You could die the rosewood with a darker stain, but if it were me I would leave it. That board is really cool.

3. ole Jason

ole Jason

That's actually a really nice piece of rosewood. Aesthetically I don't care for it with the red/white bass but I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with it.

You could stain it. A little lemon oil may darken it temporarily but the wood does not look dry in the picture.

4. Immigrant

Immigrant

I guess you could stain it but I wouldn't. I think it looks cool also.

I never knew MIA Fenders were known to have dark fretboard wood, or at least darker than their basses made elsewhere.

Embrace your funky board.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elBandito

elBandito

I was kinda going for this vibe, but the fretboard looks really off
    [​IMG]

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

this is how rosewood looks most of the time, I like all the figuring but to me this kind of wood is hard to match with the color of the bass, most of the time it looks like rust again IMO

8. Immigrant

Immigrant

Google "staining rosewood".

A billion results come up and the first few were Stew Mac and halfway down was a result from TB.

I'd post a link but I'm too lazy.

9. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Honestly, that's a fantastic looking board. My opinion is if you don't like it sell it to someone who does and buy another. I'd hate to see that get f'd up.

10. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

I'm with the others, leave it. I like the way it looks. If the coloring is way off in the picture, try a different color backdrop to emphasize it. Maybe your light blue carpet is throwing it off.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

What am I missing with that? Looks great. It's rosewood. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

That board looks just fine, it's not the tightest but it's not cheap looking. The big difference I see between the vintage J bass pic and your bass is the patina/age on the pickguard, body, covers and dots. A parchment or mint guard may get you closer to the desired result, I might opt for a black guard myself as I don't mind a little bit of 70's vibe.

13. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Apply several years worth of sweat and body oil on it. ;)

Guitar Honey might help too.

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    I'll echo what others have already said...that's a gorgeous rosewood board!

I'd also recommend switching to a black pick guard for a cooler look; new, un-aged white guards on anything other that black/maple basses just look cheap to me for some reason.

Black goes with everything ;)

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

IMO, your fretboard doesn't look funky, it looks like a nice piece of wood. If you don't dig it, I'd sell it and find one that matches the picture in your mind.

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I like it. You could probably find someone to trade for it.

17. Basssssist

Basssssist

I would leave it how it is if I were you.

You might be able to get something, but you might change the sound of your bass by doing that.

18. themarshall

themarshall

lemme git this straight. your worried about funky as regards a bass? 2 words: sharpy dude

19. line6man

line6man

Normally, you have to pay extra to get Rosewood like that. You got lucky with a fantastic cut of wood, and you don't like it?

Sell it to someone that appreciates it. You probably have better-than-usual resale value.

20. Major Softie

Major Softie

I agree.

I can see how the color doesn't go great with the body color of your bass, but it's a very beautiful fretboard. It would just look a lot better with a lighter body: like a natural body and Tort pickguard. Might look fantastic with the right orange body too.

You were looking for dark. Maybe you should sell that beautiful neck and get one with an ebony fretboard?

21. bh2

bh2

Looks great!
    Black shoe polish will darken it up nicely though.