1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My Genz Benz Uber 410 and Hartke LH1000 were submerged sue to Sandy - Salvagable?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Da Funky Fish

Da Funky Fish

Well, my band shares a small rehearsal room with another band and the room became completely submerged with salt water from the Gowanus Canal (which is nasty). I have not had a chance to get down there yet but just wondering if anyone has had a remotely similar experience with major water damage and if either the head or cabinet may be Salvagable. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
  2. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Very sorry to hear that! It sucks big time!

I doubt that salt water on circuit boards and pots would have mercy, plus the wood in the cabinet and the driver's "paper" would warp and melt.

I feel for you, and for all of the people involved with this mess, at least you are safe, tho :smug:

M
  3. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

My condolences - that's a slammin' rig.
  4. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

Damn.

Sorry to hear that. While I don't have any experience with such a dilemma and no real advice for you...I'm glad that you're at least safe and I hope that everyone in your area is doing well.

Good luck.
  5. Da Funky Fish

Da Funky Fish

Thanks all. We're in Brooklyn, NY. While this canal was close by we did not think this would happen. The whole studio, maybe 8 rooms of bands shares were wrecked. Some rooms had the walls bust due to the water too. In not even bummed due to the people in the area with much bigger problems than this. God bless everyone!
  6. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I think I read here on TB that someone's Peavey head survived a flood.
  7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

man, my first thought is that the equipment is probably toast. that being said, i'm far from a tech/builder/electrical engineer. my next thought (probably a long shot), does the owner of the rehearsal spot have any kind of insurance that would apply?
  8. shackled

shackled

Sorry to hear. It sounds like you have a good attitude, though.
    Much better than I would have...
  9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Nice rig, sorry to hear that. I would definitely sue Sandy.

:bag:
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Gowanus Canal? OMG, nasty with a capitol XXX!

The head might live again. Flush it out in the bath tub and send it back to the factory. The cab could possibly be dried out, but it depends on the materials and adhesives. Clearly the drivers are dead, but a recone might save the frames and magnets.

Get the salt/Gowanus poison off, and dry it all out. Then find a service guy to evaluate it. Sorry for your loss. Hope you and your family are OK!
  11. Da Funky Fish

Da Funky Fish

I don't think there is insurance by the owner. I think there were talks of a collective FEMA submission from all the bands etc. I'm not sure what FEMA is totally and I'd rather not milk the system when people's homes have burnt to the ground. I think I'll have to see the amp for myself first, them decide. I'm safe. Didn't even lose power. I guess it's back to my old Hartke Transporter rig, the rig that will never die!
  12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Hartke Transporter gear is good stuff.
  13. xray

xray

Bum-ER, man. 1st thought that comes to mind is insurance - flood damage that the building owner may carry or his comp should cover your loss. Not sure how NYC is about these things.
  14. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this man... But at least you are safe and still have a roof over your head, to put things in perspective.

Here are some generalities regarding what happens to equipment under such conditions. For electronics, even fresh water contains small amounts of salts and minerals which act to corrode the circuit board traces and especially vias or feedthroughs. Also these corrosive elements get under the components and around the lead seals dissolving the metals and wick into the devices damaging bond wires. Same goes for switches and pots, transformers, etc. I have found over the years that no amount of cleaning and neutralizing is particularly successful over the long term and reliability almost always suffers. With salt water, it's just much, much worse.

For speaker cabinets, almost always the wood and covering is damaged beyond salvage because the glue bonds are weakened, the ply glues fail causing delamination. The swelling causes braces and cleats to fail, the coverings come loose and shrink relative to the swelling wood and then there's the mold and funky stuff that starts to grow. The driver frames may be salvageable but they need to be stripped of all the soft parts and washed thououghly in warm water followed by a couple of rinses and a final rinse in distiller water. Then they need to be thoroughly dried before any corrosion starts. Your neo frames can be reckoned, I have the parts, but without a cabinet it may not be worth the effort.
  15. Musicman20

Musicman20

To the OP, glad you are safe and sorry about your gear.

Great to see GB giving advice so quickly. :)
  16. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

man, gotta give credit to the op on their great attitude. not so sure i would be that calm and logical about my gear! best of luck, hope it all works out in your favor.
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

I agree, there are, of course, many folks there who are not as fortunate as Funky Fish, and it's refreshing that he recognizes his favorable conditions relative to those less fortunate. In the end, the gear is replaceable and perhaps an inconvenience compared to what others lost.
  18. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I agree, unlike the guy I had to listen to today about how he has no cable tv. Hours complaining to coworkers and 45 minutes on the phone with his cable company. You could tell the person on the other end was just like "dude...you know we had a hurricane, right?"

OP, I hope everything gets sorted out for you. It's a bad situation over here.
  19. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Sorry about your gear my friend. But at least you are in one piece. Irene hit Vermont hard last year but the pictures of what is going on in your area is just devastating. Keep your chin up!
    Brent
  20. mudpup

mudpup

Peaveys and cockroaches have a lot in common:)