1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My girlfriend is getting suspicious of the new bass gear that keeps popping up...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

So I admit it,
    I have a problem... I joined Talkbass a little while ago, and since then, well you guessed it... GAS.
    As a result, new basses, pedals, amps and now a new cab is making it's way across the globe to my little bassdom.

I try and tell my Girlfriend about most of these purchases, and she is mostly supportive and understanding but it's kind of getting embarrassing...

Should I seek help, or is it a normal 'par for the course' of 21st Century bass geekiness in this internet age ?

:bag:
  2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Don't feel bad at all. One good technique is to just keep getting basses that look similar. If you need a Jazz to go with your Precision, get one in the same color and she may not even notice. Get like 5 basses all in burst or black, then just swap them out for different or better basses at will. Camouflage.
  3. PariahBass222

PariahBass222

Dude, nah you don't have a problem unless it's actually genuinely affecting your life. If you find yourself unable to live a normal life because of it then yeah seek help. Other than that, heck no!!! I have 4 basses, going on 5 soon and three amps, going to a half stack soon. Despite having good instruments and amps i get serious GAS and have to have something. Like a Warwick thumb 6. Ugh. It's tone is delicious. Same with a traben attack. We all get GAS so nothing wrong with it :D:D:D
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Are you guys serious? Are you thinking of getting married? If so, hiding stuff is not good. If you guys are "just living together" or are just dating, then it's none of her business yet (unless she is paying your bills and you are blowing your money on gear).
  5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The problem is easier once you have enough basses. If I get caught with a new one, I just tell my wife it was a trade for another. And - sometimes that is true!

Until she starts counting them, I am cool.
  6. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I have a friend that sends his purchases to his work and has a storage garage he pays monthly on just for gear. She has no idea. It's bad. My wife knows about everything and is fine with it. But then again I'm not crazy like some of you.
  7. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

well, i look at my wife's purses, shoes, clothes and weigh that against a new bass...i can usually "justify" it, but I also endorse "cheap" basses (my 4003 aside, that was "me" purchase).

I don't suggest deceiving at all, I am always upfront about my purchases, but i keep them real.

Good luck!
  8. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

No, well sort of, but I think that we realized the thread is in the Bass Humor section...
  9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

My wife teases me all the time about being "promiscuous" with bass gear, as I trade one bass for another, one amp for another, one pedal for another, and so on. As long as I'm not inputting any additional significant money (or even better, making money on the trades), she just smiles and leaves me be. :)
  10. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Hahaha that's hysterical. I think that my old lady would even catch that. She's sharp and knows too much! And despite her being super cool about me about buying gear, I've snuck in a pedal or two.

OP, I think you're fine as long as you're handling your business otherwise.
  11. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I had the same problem a few years ago when i started collecting gamebooks. A more geeky hobby though, so a bit more embarassing. But far less costly. Besides, my gf spends loads of cash on her dolls collection so really..she can't talk.

Music gear costs too much for me to get interested in though. Plus i just...I don't know, i'm like the only musician out there who doesn't care for gear. It's embarassing how little i know about it. I got things in my living room i'm still not sure how to setup properly. Just tell me where the jack goes and i'll touch some EQs and that's it. Playing is the part i care about.

As for basses, I just want my dream bass then i'll never want any other bass again.
  12. nojj

nojj Guest

Wife of Nojj is cool with stuff, as long as I pay my share of the house expenses,
    don't let the eternally migrating gear encroach in the house too much,
    and that I quit ripping down basses (and computers) on the kitchen table.

However, after building a studio/rehearsal room here some years ago,
    I've been pressured into building her a ceramics studio on the premises.
  13. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

HOGWASH!

I said the same thing... years ago! :p
  14. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

You guys are classic ! Nice work...

Actually she is a good spirited sort, with a heart of gold, so I don't think I'll be in too much trouble if I fess up... Just it is a little hard for me to justify some of the purchases, when i could put it some more dinners and such, I just find it hard to swallow some of the money spent on social/life stuff like food, when there are so many bass toys out there, only a click away...lol

As you probably worked out, we don't live together... yet... otherwise I could already be in trouble... ha ha...

I do love it how bass shifty we all are sometimes (/all the time) ! :D

all really good comments, had me in tears as it went on...favorite quotes so far... There could be a book of Bass related quotes here !

usually this would work, but the new cab is Greeeeeen !

that is how I feel I'm being...

no comment... lol

wife of Nojj... tears...

hillarious !!!

classic...
  15. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

That is bad :scowl: poor buggers...

I want to get to where you are ! maybe someday... ;)
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Well i've had just one bass for nearly 20 years so...its likely i might not get more than one more when i do get one. It's a money issue for me. If i ever had the money to spare? Yeah, maybe i'd get 3 or 4. honestly theres ony so many basses i like the aesthetics of. Then theres that i love the aesthetics AND sound. It narrows it down considerably for me (and i don.t get people who want more than just one of the SAME bass, pick the color you like best and let the other ones go...). At best i can think of about half a dozen bass i wouldn't mind having (most of which are hollows or semi) IF i had loads of money spare. That's it.
  17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

*reads post - looks at join date...* Mmmm hmm, this will change :p
  18. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Two words: death and taxes... Lol...

Wait that's three words...
  19. alexofc69

alexofc69

just use Jedi mind trick. Always works for me
  20. P Town

P Town Guest

So your girlfriend is suspicious. What does your wife think about it?