1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My greatest fear....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by allen_m, Jan 7, 2014.

1. allen_m

allen_m

Is one day I will die and my wife will sell my basses for what I told her I paid for them.
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    And when that happens, I hope I am fortunate enough to buy them.
  3. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Oh noes! :eek:

Seriously....how do you plan for your bass collection's "life after you"? How do you communicate what they are worth, be it $ you paid, trades you made, sentimental value, etc?

I wonder about that kind of stuff. Maybe that's why I don't sleep much.
  4. sbassface

sbassface

If you were like say my father you would leave a neatly hand written note with each bass's value and allow for inflation or whatever. He's an economist, my dad
  5. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

My wife and I just had this discussion. I'll leave her a note with the value of my basses,amps,old cars,tools,etc just in case I knock off unexpectedly.
  6. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I think I saw this comment on a youtube video somewhere. Did you post that or did you just copy it? :smug:
  7. allen_m

allen_m

Full disclosure for Jeff: I saw this as a meme on Facebook, but the subject was guns. I thought it was funny, paraphrased it and posted it here under "Bass humor..." I suppose I should have prefaced it with "Stop me if you've heard this before." Tough crowd.
  8. travep

travep

+1...just had that conversation with my wife...at least, kind of...
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

My best friend is also a drummer. Last summer he and I started doing an inventory of my drum gear.

This included descriptions and photos of each piece or set. If I remember what I paid, and when I bought it new or used, I included that information.

I gave an estimation of it's value as of the summer of 2013. Some things, like a used DW double tom stand for instance, do not change much in value as long as the original company doesn't make a major change of an item. Some of the snare drums in particular are a different story. I have some collectable Slingerland Radio Kings and Ludwig Black Beauty snare drums that have increased a good bit in value since I bought them years ago. For these I list a ball park price and a good description so that similar items can be looked at on eBay at that time.

We didn't complete the inventory yet. I have a huge amount of "Stuff." Going through this involves taking the item out of it's case, carrying it outside (where there is more room and better light) and taking a few photos.

We hope to finish this project this summer.

When it comes to things like PA and recording gear, what something is worth varies a so much it's unpredictable. The huge PA speakers that are stacked and covered in a corner of my garage are not worth much at all these days as everyone seems interested in lightweight powered speakers. This is just an example.

The other deal is this...

I have a will. In my will certain items are destined to go to certain people. My bass player cousin sold me his 1972 Tele bass for a really low price. His son is a professional musician, although bass isn't his primary instrument. I think that the Telecaster bass should eventually end up in his son's hands. If something should happen to his father before me, I'll give it to his son myself.

We have no children ourselves, although we have several nieces and nephews who are musicians. I've designated something for each of them. (My one nephew is a metal drummer, my collection of Paiste 2002 cymbals will be his.)

My sweetheart and I have been together for years although we are not married. She and her late husband were serious art collectors for many years. Before our last move we had the art collection professionally appraised and crated up. We are contemplating selling some of it as we are not displaying much of it at this point. Again, there are some items that are designated to be given to certain individuals.

We've tried to be fair regarding this. Hopefully there will still be enough money to fight over, our "stuff" won't be such a big deal.

;)
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

I'm lucky. There is a local music store that I trust and I told my wife to take all my equipment there.
  11. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

My greatest fear....

is the day when I physically can not play my instruments any more. I look at the hands of my older relatives on my dads side and I know that arthritis is inevitable and harsh.

Biggest fear #2 would be the day I can't skate/play hockey for the same reasons
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Dang, don't matter she will sell them for less than you paid regardless.
  13. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

When sold, they will not be worth what you paid unless they are vintage or collectible. Might be wise to line up a place that can do a valuation before sale.
  14. ZenG

ZenG

My greatest fear is that I will become so good at playing bass I will sought after by a big name rockband.......then I will achieve international fame along with tons of money which I will spend on substance abuse..

Then I'll end up at Dr.Drew's rehab facility in Pasadena where I'll meet some famous celebrity just like me who can't kick the habit......

One night we'll sneak out and get blasted on heroin together and we'll both die......
  15. allen_m

allen_m

See now....that's funny. (I think?)
  16. thebassguy86

thebassguy86

I've kept receipts and purchase information with new basses in the cases. As for used bass information, I work in a music instrument retail store and would hope that she's smart enough to go to my coworkers to access retail value on them.

...Although, I do have a hefty life insurance policy if I do die earlier than expected.
  17. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    I agreed with my wife that she can sell it all except for the Kelly she bought me and my custom Spector, those she has to keep for herself. Forever.
  18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I keep a fully updated list of every bass I own, details of each and list price and cost of everything. Details on mod's and original details, case details and when and where purchased. I have a full listing of everything including my amps and speakers. Detailed down to mic's and cables. Since I have so much, it has to be detailed and complete. If I were to pass on, my family needs to know what I have.
  19. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

If I can't play anymore, I will either donate my rig to the local high school jazz band or find some kid who plays bass and cant afford a nice rig, and just give it to him/her.
  20. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

That is a great observation from the OP! My wife wouldn't have a clue about the values. I have set up a trusted friend and musician to dispose of all my gear should something happen to me. He can give it away to the needy, keep it or sell it as he sees fit.

I have also thought about putting a small sticker on them with the value "just in case".