my group - debut recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Hey TBDBer's.

I'm am very excited to announce the pre-release of the debut album from my group Walk East. Check it out here... Walk East

You can stream any of the tracks for your listening pleasure.

It was recorded in my home studio live with no overdubs.

Enjoy.

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    I like it a lot!

3. chris dammann

chris dammann

Sounds great. I enjoy the compositions and the playing. all around sick. We should do some shows with my group when I'm back in Chicago in Febuary if your still interested. I'm trying to find a space to rent out to replace what I had going on at the Velvet Lounge. Let me know:hyper:

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

Great! Will download when I get home today. Congrats on the release.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Thanks guys.

Chris, I'm down. I'll keep my feelers out for rooms that might be available too.

Thanks Matt. I appreciate the support!!!

7. agreatheight

agreatheight

Not my thing necessarily, but the playing is great and I LOVE the live sound. The drums especially sound amazing to my ears, but everything sounds wonderfully present and articulate and real, including the bass! Nicely done.

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Thanks bro. I spent quite a bit of time getting the room to sound the way I wanted it to and then mixing down. We did it all live, in one room, no cans. Glad to hear my work paid off.

For those interested in how I mic'd the drums, I used large diaphragm condensers for the overheads and a beta 52 on the bass drum. I like using large diaphragm mics for that kind of mic setup because they tend to have a little warmer and full range kind of tone. I then rolled off the very low lows a bit in mixdown to tame the rumble and bumped the highs just a little to add a little more shimmer to the cymbals. It also helps to start with people who get a good sound to begin with

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

Repeated listens and just keeps getting better. Marc, are you playing the Shen?

I really dig the line up and diversity of tunes.

10. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Thanks again gents!

Yes Matt. That is the Shen. Animas on bottom and Gamut Lyons on top. I used two mics. One large diaphragm CAD and my little clip on AT35pro. We were all in one room so when the drums got loud I dialed back the CAD in the mix bumped the AT which has better off axis rejection.

I do play porkchop on Caffeinated Om. It just worked better for the minimalist nature of the lines. My slab is a Warwick Corvette with ancient DR Hi-Beams going direct to the board through a Sansamp BDDI.

It was fun putting together the crew of guys I had play on the record. They are guys that I ran into in various different bands and I just brought them together for this project. The chemistry worked out great.

Thanks for the kudos on the tunes too. I have done 99% sideman work over the years but have always had an ever mounting piles of stuff I write. I figured it was time to actually record some of it.

12. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Cats.

Physical copies of my album are now available at Walk East | Walk East | CD Baby

If you are interested is mp3s I still get it through bandcamp. It's cheaper.

Enjoy.

13. Will Yager

Will Yager

Sounds awesome! I love the tunes

14. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Thanks Will.

For the folks in Chicago we will be playing at the Green Mill as part of the Chicago Jazz Composers Collective series at 2pm on Sunday Dec 18.

Also stay tuned for a cd release party!

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Marc's tunes make me smile...good playing and very interesting music!

16. pudgychef

pudgychef

17. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Just downloaded this in FLAC ('cos I'm a geek) - great album!

A tip for anyone else downloading it -- I had to add the ".zip" suffix to the file name to get the software to recognise the file. May only happen for the FLAC files with a Mac. Otherwise seamless. :)

18. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Thanks man and good tip!

19. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Ok. Last shameless plug. Our cd is now available on iTunes.

Also, for Chicago folk, we'll be having a cd release party Sun Jan 29 at 4pm at Jerry's in Wicker Park. The event is all ages, free, and Jerry's has great sandwiches and beer (and Sprecher root beer on tap).

20. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Congrats, Marc. Not the same old thing, that's for sure. Got to be great to get that out, I can tell you've put a lot into composition.

A very worthy addition.

21. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Thanks Troy. All this stuff was done without any rehearsal. It really added to the spontaneous vibe I think. We did it in 3 sessions. We just got together in my home studio, drank beer, ate pizza, and played. It's great knowing talented and willing musicians that can tackle material like that cold and with an open mind. Definitely a fun and talented group of players.