My guitarist finally got a Fender

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by southpaw723, Dec 27, 2013.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

He used an early 2000's Schector that always got out of tune before but he finally got a tele. I think it's MIM. Most importantly we'll sound better now as a band, I love the sweet tone of a Telecaster! Anybody not a fan or a big fan if their guitarist's tone?
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If his old guitar had a hardtail it was most likely bad machine heads causing him to go out of tune so quick.

But yes, I do like me some tele twang.

No worries about it being an MIM. My brother got him a little black MIM tele a while back and he's in LOVE with it, and when you hear him play it, it's little wonder he's neglecting his scrat and SG.

If you watch the pros on you tube, TV, wherever, you will notice a buttload of them using Fenders are using MIM Fenders.

I've got MIA and MIM j basses and I like them all.
  3. southpaw723

southpaw723

It wasnt my intent to say it was MIM like it was a bad thing. My j bass is MIM and I love it!
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I like what Teles sound like, but sometimes it's not the right sound. I play with a guitarist who has a MIM Tele and it sounds very good for what we do. He recently got a Chinese made reissue Danelectro with a pair of lipstick pickups, and it sounds even better. Go figure.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

One of my former guiatrds had a MIM Strat. Once I set it up it played great. And had the strat tone. Especially the in-between tones.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Love that Fender burn tone right before distortion. There's a sweet spot that's easier to dial in these days if you have the right gear.
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    In addition to bass, I also play guitar. I like the sound of Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall or a Vox. Never cared for the sound of strats or telecasters very much. I do love the sound of my MIA Fender basses though. Both of the guitarists in my band have great tone. One has a variety of guitars including 60s era Les Pauls, Strats and Teles. He seems to be able to get great tone regardless of what he uses. The other guitarist has 60s era Fenders, Gibsons and a newer PRS. He also has great tone.
  9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Fender tone rules!! Basses OR guitars!
  10. spade2you

spade2you

I like the Fender tone. Hate the the Fender radius.
  11. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

For most of the almost forty years that I've been a gigging musician I've played with guitarists (and bassists) who wielded Fenders. To me I just love the sound of a strat or a Tele.

I did play for a few years with a blues guitarist who would either play a Les Paul Jr. with P 90s or an ES 335. It's funny that it took me as a drummer a bit of time to get used to those totally different guitar tones. I guess that since I'm a drummer who plays other instruments as well I'm a little more aware than some.

A side note is that I just started playing with a guitarist who is running his Stratocaster through a Fender Mustang IV. I don't care for the sound of that amp at all. When he plays at my place it is through an old Blues Deluxe and it sounds infinitely better. (An old Peavey Bandit that I own sounds better than that Mustang IV to my ears...) He only bought the amp recently. I'm hopeful that he is still just figuring it out.
  12. fhm555

My brother recently got some kind of limited edition modded Fender amp. it's got a dark red tolex on it and in addition to the amp mods, it sports a speaker with a hemp cone. it's small and kicks major butt. We are always joking about the hemp cone.
  13. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

That amp sounds smokin'...
  14. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Probably has some awesome highs.
  15. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

I've played Fender guitars for a few years. This was taken in 1967.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. DannyBob

DannyBob

My guitarist has a MIA Tele and an american Les Paul Standard. What more can I want?
  17. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

Our original guitarist had a Line6 modeling guitar, a Line6 modeling amp, and some sort of Line6 controller/effects pedal-board. It was really versatile and could fake all the classic tones, and even electronically drop-tune or change tuning without actually changing the tension on the strings. It was a really impressive piece of technology.

However...

It never sounded quite right. I am no tone snob, or a gear snob, but it was just fake and weird and buzzy and every effect was overdone. The notes and particularly chords were really "hazy" and undefined, it was often a little hard to know just what he was playing as it often came out as really loud white noise.

He is a great guy, and we were all bummed when he moved out of state and left us. We had one last special jam night. He had packed away all his Line6 gear, so he pulled out his spare junk; a PRS Soapbar (a import sorta Les Paul Junior thing) and a Vibro Champ.

He NEVER sounded better. A simple guitar and a simple amp gave him the best tone.
  18. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Did Jimmie Vaughan buy it and change the letters?
  19. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Ive been lucky enough to only be in bands with people that know how to get good tones. Jammed with a couple of people that couldn't, though.

The worst I have heard is a girl playing a Gibson Les Paul through a Fender Tweed amp of some old variety. If ears could bleed from bad sounds, mine would have. So much treble... Such bad singing voice, too... And she didn't even look good enough to make up for it all!!!!! I'll see if I can dig up a video of her band that does this thread justice....

EDIT: Gahhhhhh all of their videos on youtube have had some sort of mixing going on to fix the guitar noises.
  20. fhm555

:D:D

Jokes aside, it sounds an awful lot like an old Fender Deluxe.