1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My Iron Maiden month (which album should I start with)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gfdhicool, Nov 2, 2013.

1. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

I know several tunes,but I really want to start learning most songs on the first 7 albums (by December 1st,then it will be my Queen month)
  2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Start with the first two records. They had a much tougher sound then. In my opinion, they went downhill after Powerslave.
  3. zagralin_arf

zagralin_arf

The hardest lines would be on Seventh Son.
  4. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

I liked seventh son of a seventh son though :(.Somewhere in time is mediocre though (for Iron Maiden)
  5. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Maybe I'll give Seventh Son another listen sometime.

Maiden are kind of like AC/DC. Their best material was on their first 5-6 albums and that material comprises most of their setlist 30 years later.
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Brave new world/Fear of the dark were pretty awesome IMO.
  7. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Iron Maiden have released some decent modern stuff,but it simply does not contain the originality that the first 7 albums have :/
  8. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I agree about the first 2 albums. They had a much more raw rock n' roll/punk sorta vibe that I actually dig more than their stuff with Bruce. (Not knocking Bruce, just my preference.)

Phantom of the Opera is still one of my favorite songs to play, and one of the first I learned too.
  9. Lobomov

Lobomov

Yeah .. I used to be a huge maiden fan, but it started going down hill after 7th son and I quit them after fear of the dark, tho I actually like some of the fear of the dark songs.

I'd start with the first album, lots of interesting stuff there and off course phantom of the opera!
  10. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Piece Of Mind. Probably my favourite album with - in my opinion - some of Harris' best bass lines. To Tame A Land, anyone?
  11. beobass

beobass Supporting Member

Powerslave! My personal favorite and one of the most influential metal albums every recorded.
  12. beobass

beobass Supporting Member

And for the record I didn't like Seventh Son. However I did like Brave New World.
  13. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Start off with rime of the ancient mariner. If you can can play that all the way thru and keep it tight your a bass bad a$$. It took me about 2 weeks of constant practice in my early teens to learn that song. Couldn't play it now if my life depended on it,lol!
  14. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Fear of the Dark is pretty solid.
  15. metlman72

metlman72

Steve Harris is one of the most influential bassist in metal. That said i would not give anything past Powerslave the time of day. When Seventh Son was released the music industry was extremely commercial. It was all about MTV, making videos and Maiden seemed to get caught up in it. Although Live after Death is the ultimate live album with all the great Maiden stuff. As posted earlier, this is still the material they tour with today.
  16. spade2you

spade2you

I think all of the albums are pretty solid. It's hard and almost unfeasible to expand upon the originality of those first 7 albums.

I'm in the minority that enjoys Somewhere in Time. It has a very sci-fi vibe to it like a cheesy 80's space apocalypse bounty hunter flick.
  17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

You're either very brave or very talented. To this day, that is the toughest Maiden tune I've ever had to learn, by far. Not that I've learned a ton of them, but still.

OP, if you're looking for an easier place to start, well, Maiden albums aren't easy, but there are a few songs that are relatively easy ("Flight of Icarus", "The Trooper"). But if you're just going to go album-by-album, why not just start from the start and go from there?

Oh, and while we're on the subject, I am another "Somewhere in Time" hater but "Seventh Son" fan. I think "Fear of the Dark" was next? I didn't like that one, and stopped buying their albums after that, with the exception of "A Real Dead One", which is OK, but can't begin to compare to "Live After Death", which is probably the best live metal album ever. Sing this line to any male my age and you'll get the same expletive in reply: "oh...oh....you..." :D
  18. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

In case anyone's still wondering, "To Tame A Land" has the best lyric for metal:

He is the Kwitzach Haderach
    He is born of Caladan
    And will take the Gom Jabbar.

:bassist: \m/
  19. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Start with Powerslave. Once you get through Rime of the Ancient Mariner you'll be fine with anything.
  20. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

A lot of the filler songs on #of the beast (invaders, total eclips, gangland etc.) have great bass lines.