1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My jazz with my own handwound pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 4snaar, Nov 20, 2012.

1. 4snaar

4snaar

I would like to show you my jazz bass which I have assembled. It started with the idea to have a jazz like the basses Tim Commerford used to have. So, a jazz bass with a precision neck and with overwound pickups. I wanted to make these pickups by myself.

At first I used some alder bodies, but I finally obtained a nice swamp ash body which I took from a jazz bass that I bought from another bassplayer. The body does not have a mark, I only know from the previous owner that this body has been made in Japan. The body already had a thin satin finish and is a nice resonating piece of wood. I also was able to acquire a very nice Allparts precision neck with an ebony fingerboard.

I had a set pickups from a fretless Fender Jazz (Mexico) and I decided to rewind these pickups completely by hand. So without any machine. I deliberately wound these pickups as scatter wound as possible. I took me some time to do this. I had several problems, but finally I finished these pickups. I have placed these pickups in my bass and I am satisfied with the sound.

[​IMG]

The bass has been changed several times (other bridge, pickquards), but I really liked the following setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, the bass has been changed again. I don’t use the precision neck anymore on this bass, but I have bought a beautiful Allparts jazz neck. I currently use the precision neck to assemble an Allparts precision bass.

So, the jazz bass is currently like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very happy with this bass. Perhaps I want to make some more pickups, but then I have to have a good pickup winder.
  2. Splods

Splods

That looks nice. Just like the real deal.
  3. 4snaar

4snaar

Thank you.

I was wondering. Are there forummembers here that also wind their own pickups? Perhaps I want a little winding machine and I was curious about what kind of equipment others are using. I have used a sewing machine. However the motor was too strong. In fact, also by winding by hand I had some troubles with breaking of the wire.
  4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I'm just starting with winding and I used a variable-speed power drill. It's a tough one to control but it's doable.

You might get more info at the Music Electronics Forum - quite a few winders from there are also present on TB.
  5. 4snaar

4snaar

Thanks for your reply.
  6. rdrr

rdrr

I picked up a sewing machine on freecycle and ripped the motor out to build my winder. I use a dimmer switch to control the speed and it works pretty well.

You should check out the Music Electronics Forum though.

Rob
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

sound clips please?!!:bassist:
  8. rocmonster

rocmonster

"Runnnunnunnunnunnunnunnunnunnunnunnunn"

Oh wait, you mean the bass...:D
  9. Gtripdub

Gtripdub

jason lollar has a book out...winding pickups..part sources etc..check him out
  10. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Excellent. Always wanted to experiment with making my own pickups.
  11. delta7fred

delta7fred

This guy uses an old sewing machine.

12. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan allegedly started by using a record player. :D
  13. 4snaar

4snaar

I am sorry, I do not have good recording equipment and so no good sound samples.

Thanks for mentioning the book and the other forum. I still have a lot to learn about it.