1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My Jerry Jones Longhorn was stolen.

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Eldo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Eldo

Eldo

It really bums me out that my Neptune (Jerry Jones) Longhorn was stolen earlier this week. It was the bass I was practicing with the most for a surf band project me and some friends are working on.
    This bass was rapidly becoming my favorite. I know it's a long shot anyone sees it but here are some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Eldo

Eldo

By the way, my JJ was stolen from a well known studio outside Winston-Salem, NC along with some other valuble instruments. I'm checking eBay, Craigslist and the local GCs, Sam Ash stores and pawn shops daily.
  3. Thor

Thor Back. And grumpier than ever. Supporting Member

Fairly unique bass. Do you have a record of the serial # ?
  4. narwhale

narwhale

Sorry to hear that. I'm assuming your stuff was stolen from Mitch Easter's place? I saw his post on Facebook and posted a thread here before I saw yours. I'm in Raleigh as well and will keep a sharp eye out.
  5. Eldo

Eldo

Yes indeed. Just saw your post as a matter of fact, and Mitch's on his FB page.
    My Longhorn was being used on a record when someone broke in and swiped this stuff. It really sucks. I think he's had that '66 Fender since he was a kid.
    Thanks for keeping an eye out!
  6. Eldo

Eldo

Sure do. As unusual as the JJ is, if it pops up it won't be hard to miss.
  7. Eldo

Eldo

RECOVERED! My Jerry Jones popped up on eBay last weekend about 60 miles from where it was stolen. I'm damn glad to have it back!
    LUCKY ME!!!
  8. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

On eBay? That's crazy! Share the whole story if you feel like it. Glad you got it back!
  9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

2 years later? dang! glad its back
  10. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

No kidding! What's the deal? By the way, I live about 60 miles from Raleigh. Which direction?
  11. Eldo

Eldo

Thanks guys! Okay, here's the story.
    I've kept up with the detective fro the past couple of years but nothing has ever shown up. One Friday night a friend on another bass forum PMd me and said there was a Jerry Jones Longhorn on eBay and the location was listed as not far from Greensboro, NC. I'm in Raleigh so he asked if I'd seen it. I actually received his message Saturday morning so as soon as I read it I looked it up on eBay and immediately knew it was mine. Turns out it was in Mt. Airy, NC, about two and a half hours from me.

It had a Buy-It-Now price of $1650 or so and I was irritated about that and mulled that over for a little while before I decided that first I'd try and contact the detective. Since it was Saturday I of course couldn't get hold of him or anyone else in the office. I finally decided that a) if I DIDN'T hit BIN and someone else did, I'd never get it back and the detective probably wouldn't get anywhere as far as the other missing instruments and b) if I DID hit BIN then I'd have a name, phone number, email and possibly the address of the seller I could turn over to the detective.

So, I hit BIN and asked if I could come out the following Sunday to pick it up. The seller said sure and he'd refund the shipping costs, which he did. I gave $565 for that bass in 2010 and so I hated like hell paying $1650 for it but Mitch's studio did reimburse me $1350 for it since it was a special order color and pretty rare. So, really, I still paid less than they actually sell for now.

When I met the guy that Sunday I almost immediately got the impression he didn't know it was stolen. It had been well taken care of and was in a different hard case than the one it was in when it was stolen. I took the plate off the back and saw the serial number, but like I said, I already knew it was mine.

Funny thing though; my buddy was using it at the studio to record an album and his guitar strap was still in the case!

I gave all this information to the detective in the hopes that he'd contact the seller, who said he'd gotten it from a friend who deals in instruments and who calls him if he gets something unusual. I'm really hoping the detective can use all this information to backtrack and find leads to the other missing instruments.

I sure am glad to have it back!