My latest assembly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wfmandmusic, Nov 23, 2012.

1. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

Just finished this one tonight. All my favorite Fender parts are here. I tried to make one that sounded better than my 64 custom shop P bass, and played just as well. 2005 American standard p string through body, MIJ Steve Harris neck (because I love the tone that these necks bring to the table, the finish, and specs.), Fender original custom shop 62 pups, Fender super high mass bridge for punch and sustain, nice brand new black pick guard. The bridge added some weight, but really improved the sound. All set up and it sounds really amazing. Looks pretty cool as well. The test with the band in a few days.

Attached Files:

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

is that like a chrome red burst or is it the lighting? it's a really nice looking red.
  3. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

Yea I normally am not into red basses at all. I don't know the offical Fender color. It's a trans wine red. I'll take a pic of the grain. This pic is before the new pick guard and bridge. It's a nice color for sure.

Attached Files:

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

they should start using that color again. really nice. with the black guard and trans red finish, it kinda reminds me of my old SR5. very sweet bass indeed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Good call on the black pickguard! Nice work!
  7. Im_telling_tim

Im_telling_tim

Nice. I love the high mass bridge. I put one on my Aerodyne and I'm contemplating putting one on my Geddy Lee
  8. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

Sweet looking bass! I don't usually dig red basses either, but that is a great finish matched with the maple FB and black PG. Well done. Did you have all these parts in mind when you set out to build a bass?

Don't you love it when a plan comes together..
  9. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Looks like you built a dream bass for sure! Love it.

That isn't just a high mass bridge - that is a Fender Big Block - or "super high mass" as wfmandmusic stated. And it is gorgeous.

Micro-Adjustable string spacing is why I have one on my 2012 AmStd.

[​IMG]
    Big Block next to High Mass

[​IMG]
    String spacing adjustment on Big Block
  10. TinIndian

TinIndian

That is Sweet!
  11. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

No I did not have the parts in mind. I had a goal to make it as nice as my custom shop at 1/3 of the cost. I kept ab testing it with the CS until it sounded better, slowly changing parts. Nice tight neck pocket and the bridge is bottomed out low. I was lucky to find this mint body. The Japanese made Vintage tinted neck is really sweet. An AVRI neck would have worked just as well and would be nice with thin vintage frets, but the slightly thicker SH necks adds a little tone to my liking.
  12. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

What strings and rig are you using? And, what is going to happen to your Custom Shop?
  13. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

I use GHS Boomers, medium or medium lights. I have two different rigs but lately have been favoring my Ampeg 1969 blue line SVT played through a 1969 square back Ampeg 810. My other rig is a Mesa boogie 400 amp, boogie 215 and a 210/ Pizo cab. Sometimes on a big stage I biamp the rigs with a added Ampeg 410 stack.
    As for the custom shop, I just dropped a set of DiMarzio DP 122 pickups in it today. I know sacrilege right? Maybe it's because I grew up playing DiMarzios, but they just sound right to my ears. I very we'll might sell the CS. I have learned to let a little time pass before making decisions like that. You know let things settle in a bit.
  14. millsbass5

millsbass5

Ooh.... I'd go with a clear guard on it. No use in hiding that grain.

Never mind. Damn top routes.