My LH1000 EQ setting

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MIMJAZZ, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

I've looked through threads about what people use as their EQ setting on the LH500 and LH1000. They use it pretty flat (Which is B:2, M:10, and T:2). I don't love that setting. Its missing something to me.

Ive played around with it alot and found a setting that I like and other bass players around like too. Its Bass at 8, Mid at about 7, and Treble inbetween 3-5 depending on the bass i'm using.

I'm surprised that I havent read anybody use this setting. I know people have their own taste, but its a very usable setting and IMHO its better than the flat setting.

If you have the head, try it and let me know what you think.

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

It's cool you found something usable for your needs. Just keep it mind that you can quickly fall out of the mix on stage if you do not keep enough midrange in your tone. Boosting the Bass and Treble controls will reduce the midrange at certain frequencies.

Also, the settings on bass amps are generally guidelines for bass players since bass guitar tone is heavily influenced by the acoustic environment, your playing style, and what you are running into the head. Your awesome settings may work great in the ROOM you are currently in, but may sound terrible in a different room. The key to getting good tone all the time is understanding how the controls on the amp/pedals/bass work and how to manipulate them to get what you want.

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

LH1000 owner here.

My settings in the loud 70's/80's/90's rock band I'm with...bass 5 to 6, mid 7.5, treble 3 to 5.

Passive 4 string jazz with DR Sunbeams strings into a Aphex bass exciter DI all controls set at 5 into the LH1000 driving two Avatar Neo 210 cabinets stacked as a vertical 410.

In the band I'm with and the rooms we're playing this set-up REALLY sounds good to me...(and our soundman.)

(Do a search, I think it was KJunge back in 2008 that had a 30+ page thread on the LH500's/LH1000's. Many players we're giving their settings for the LH's.)

4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Im using a KILO so I have the addition of the graphic eq as well but my 3 band is set B2, M10, T5

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it works for you, it works, so don't worry about the opinions of others.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    +1

OP, just understand that is a lot of bass boost. Getting muddy/losing clarity may be one concern but putting too much stress on your speakers at louder gigs is certainly another. The various rooms you find yourself in will have a big effect on the bass end of things. If you're not run into the PA, listen from out where the audience is while adjusting your tone to fit the mix, then just deal with whatever that sounds like on stage.

8. Sartori

Sartori

If you can hear yourself, and it sounds good in the mix, then whatever.

9. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

I'm sorry but that's way too much bass. For years when I was younger and didn't know any better if I felt I wanTed the bass more prominent id put more bass in the signal. Years later I realized I was doing it all wrong and more bass doesn't mean a better mix

10. Sartori

Sartori

I would instinctively say "too much lows," too (my amp has a Fender type tone stack, too, and I never have the bass control over about 5), but I have no idea what cab the OP is using, or what the mix of the bands he/she's playing in is like.

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    What comes out isn't just down to EQ, bunches is down to the cab, you might be compensating for a cab roll off.

12. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

That's a whole lot of boost. ..its either a bad cabinet conjunction with the head or I feel it's just the wrong approach. I had an lh1000 and with eq set at 4 9 3 it was full and solid in the low-end. I can't see running that control at over 6 orso, regardless of circumstance.

To the op: do you know about or understand the theory of frequency notching? What cab, what bass and what type of music are you playing?

13. Sartori

Sartori

I've never understood this attitude that boosting is somehow wrong, that seems to be common on TB. Sure, it has drawbacks, but if you're okay with those drawbacks, there's nothing wrong with using boost.

That would definitely be too much low end boost for me, but my situation and rig is likely different than the OP's. So I'm holding off saying "that's too much" or "that's too little," unless I get more specifics about the rest of the rig, and the mix it's in.