1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My little cousin wants a bass but...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brandon311, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Brandon311

Brandon311

He has nevered touched a bass but once or twice. He really wants his first bass to be fretless. Do you think this would be too hard on him? He is 13 and i believe he would be heavily devoted to playing bassbut am wondering with enough practice if a fretless bass would do?
  2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

If he wants fretless, let him have a fretless. The worse thing that could happen is that he becomes discouraged and drops the bass, but on the flip side, you can take his fretless and add it to your stable.

It's like learning on any instrument w/out frets. My god... if violins had frets... I'm not sure if that would have made things any easier for me cause I still suck at playing it!
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Remember Stand up bass? That is what all school grade kids learn on in concert band. No frets there.
  4. Brandon311

Brandon311

K guys guess ill get him a fretless. Thnx for ur time and experience
  5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

My son, now 12-years-old, has played bass since age 7. Fretless & fretted Electric Bass, as well as Double Bass.

He prefers basses without frets.

If your cousin already knows what he wants, why question it?
  6. atomicdog

atomicdog

I wouldn't recommend it but at least get him one with fret lines painted on the fingerboard. A fretless is harder to play double-stops, chords etc.
  7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Ya the squier vintage modified fretless , that would be a great first bass .
    You could always get another fretted neck for cheap if he wanted.
  8. dtripoli

dtripoli

My first bass was a fretless P-Bass. Man, I struggled and thank God I barely understood and heard pitch, cause I rarely landed on the exact note. Got into the habit of sliding up and down to the note. I'd just slide til I found it. Toughest part was playing in dark clubs and being expected to see those little, tiny dots on the side of the fret board
    I sold it for a Gibson with frets. Dang, amazing how I sounded so much better on pitch and easy to play.
  9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

OP, I say tell him to go for it. The earlier your cousin gets used to fretless, the better. Get the hard part out of the way in the beginning.