my little project - Squier P-bass makeover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fireball69696, Dec 21, 2012.

1. fireball69696

fireball69696

so here are the pics of my little project, still in progress. hardware is left original (tuning machines, pot covers, bridge).

any advice on pickups? planing to get new ones, the originals are dead... (i'm playing rock and metal mostly)

and here is the special par of this thread:
    you can help me about the pick guard :) i was thinking of making something special, maybe leather or wood. any designers here? :) my idea is to cover the holes around the picks and the entire pot/wires (electronics) canal.

will update as soon as i do something, right now im looking for the pick ups, and here in croatia they are hard to find so far, so it coud take me a month or so to get on with the work

here are some pics (sorry for the bad quality)

Attached Files:

2. dubhnight

dubhnight

That looks great man, well done! I've always wanted to revive a beat up old bass, it'd be really special to you once you had finished I think.
    As far as pickups are concerned, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders are generally regarded as very good, and should sound great for rock and metal. With the pickguard, I can't really suggest anything, since you seem to be interested in doing something unusual. Since this is your project, you should go with what you want, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Anyway, keep up the good work, it looks excellent and I'm sure that if it's set up well it'll sound fantastic.
  3. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Wow, I really like the "keep music evil" version.

Perfect punk bass.
  4. fireball69696

fireball69696

thank you

im between Seymour Duncan and fenders P's, but more for SD. the problem is my (louse but still beautiful :) ) country, in the capital none of the shops have any P pickups, and i dont know how much would the be to order the online (customs and stuff).

i dont have any idea what to do for the pick guard, i would like it to be small and cover only the stuff that needs to be covered (a gecko was one option) but i cant thing of anything that shape... the position of the hole is really bad :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fireball69696

fireball69696

hehehe it was spouse to look a bit more metal, and the tape is on only because i was bored :)

but now im going for something softer, only 'save the animals' stickers, if any ;)
  7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

Quarter pounders and a pearloid pickguard..or perhaps a mirrored one...and i would Throw a Gotoh 201 on as well!
  8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Seymours are good though In prefer the Dimarzio model P pups. Emg active if you want. Id also add stacked 2band active eq preamp. Repalce bridge or at least cut off and file down whatever amount of saddle adjustment screws that are sticking up above the bridge saddle. You cut off or file down the bottom btw , not the top which has the slot for screwdriver or hexkey.. Looks like nice new revived squire P btw.
  9. fireball69696

fireball69696

ok, here is an update. i went for the EMG HZ, only thing i could find in zagreb, croatia.

all is installed, waiting for the pick guard.

i have one question, i have a static buzz problem, dont know how to deal with it, anyone to help?

here are the pics http://imgur.com/a/LlfEf
  10. fireball69696

fireball69696

lets say its done :) and it works :D
    [​IMG]
  11. verycoolname

verycoolname

Where did you get the pickguard? It looks sweet!
  12. totem

totem Supporting Member

Wow, I love that pickguard! Nicely done!!
  13. fireball69696

fireball69696

a man that works with leather did it, he took only some $25-30 for it, hand made from leather.
  14. verycoolname

verycoolname

I need to find someone like that for my project, it looks incredible.
  15. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Nice, now you need a keep music fishy decal.
  16. fireball69696

fireball69696

i would set you up with my guy but i doubt you would find croatia as place near you :D