My mapleglo Rickenbacker has started to turn a gold color. Is this normal with a RIC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Music Scholar, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Music Scholar

Music Scholar

My mapleglo Rickenbacker has started to turn a gold color. Is this normal with a Rickenbacker mapleglo finish?

Attached Files:

2. SF_Bassist

SF_Bassist

Not sure about the mapleglo, but the finish on my 85 4001 is definitely less brilliant than it used to be.
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Yes! Beautiful patina! Too bad this rare 4000 model is now only worth about half of what it would have been otherwise had the original pickup not been removed from it.
  4. Music Scholar

Music Scholar

This is not an original 4000. It's a 1995 4003S that I got for a really cheap price. I had a new pickguard cut for it to cover the neck pick ups I removed so now it looks like a 4000 model. I still have all the original parts so I can put it back to it's originally set up. I always wanted a 4000 model but eveytime I find one used it's way out of my price range. I know what you mean iiipopes, if I got my hands on a real 4000 I would not change anything on it. The bridge pickup I installed on this is one of the new Joe Barden RIC replacement humbuckers. I'm real happy with it. The bass no longer has the single coil hum when plugged into an amp and it still sounds like a RIC.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

7. Kenzy

Kenzy

Does anyone know why that's happening?
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

:D
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

AWESOME! :cool:

Except for the non original pickup, pickguard and control positions.
  10. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Just to be clear, it's not just Rick's that have this happen. Check out an older Olympic White Fender; they yellow just like the white Ricks.

In any case, RIC used to use a conversion varnish that is affected by UV radiation. Blueboys become Seafoam Greenboys often as well. Personally, I like the ambering on a Mapleglo.

About a year or two ago, RIC started using a new finish. I think it's still a conversion varnish (possibly not), but it is UV-resistant, so the colors are expected to remain consistent over time.
  11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Well, alrighty then. Never mind.
  12. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree Supporting Member

I know on my P bass the Olympic white has turned a beautiful yellow over time.
  13. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

If you keep the instrument in its case at all times, and never play it, this will not happen.

:)
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What a fantastic looking bass!
  15. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

That looks great!!

Cheers,
    Jim
  16. bill reed

bill reed

my Rockinbetter is doing this too, it@s like a very light gold but not all over only in some parts and it really catches the light too. mine is only two months old.
  17. Darren Low

Darren Low

That's cool
  18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    the pickguard and control positions look stock to me. just not an original pickup, but you could put a RI horseshoe in there.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

It is possible the PG is the stock shape for that vintage, but the controls are too parallel to the strings compared to other 4000s that I have seen ('50s-mid '60s 4000s are eve more angled than the late '60s through the end of the production of them). I prefer the shape of 4001 PGs, I would have put one of those on the bass as long as it was being replaced, anyway, maybe even a longer '60s style PG, especially if a HS PU was going in it. :cool:
  20. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Just like my jazz.

View attachment 305986
  21. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Nice Rickenbacker 4000!

I would take out the tone sucking Seymour Duncan pickup and put in a Ric hb-1. The wire it in with a toggle so you can make it go Series, Parallel, Single. It would improve the tone of the bass and make it more "Rickenbacker" and thus increase resale value.

Unitl a few years ago Rickenbackers had a finish that yellows with time.