My Mesa d180...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dazminiimp, Jul 30, 2011.

1. dazminiimp

dazminiimp

I would say this is more of a story than a general question and just wanted to share this on the forum!

So, a about 4/5 years ago I decided I was due an upgrade in amps, I must have been 17/18 at the time, this would be my first move from practice/gig worthy combo to a real 'stack'. I spent a while looking round local shops and searching on the internet, when my bass playing friend turned round and said he wanted to sell his amp so I went round his house and tested the rig out, it happened to be a Mesa D180 with an Ampeg 4x10 cab. He said he wanted £600 ($985) for the pair but I knocked him down to £450 ($740) for the pair.

I've been in love with it ever since and I have added a 1x15 ampeg to rig also.

Looking round the forums and searching for a Mesa D180 this seems to be a bit of steal?? What do you all think?

Cheers! :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say it's a pretty darn good steal. Nice amp...I played one for about 6 months through a 215 in the 80's.

3. Sartori

Sartori

That is quite a steal, yes. My D-180 was $800.

4. gbarchus

gbarchus

I got an M-180 (for $400) that I paired up with an Alembic F2B (for $300). Sounds like a Fender Showman with a little more umph. I'd still like a D-180 though, more preamp tubes.

Gale

[​IMG]

Tuvac likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

Mine was $250 a few years ago. With flight case. I think somebody got fired at the Guitar Center I bought it and my $150 Sound City (complete with its $700 original tubes) within 2 months of each other.

$500 - $800 is more in line with what I've seen here, I would imagine higher outside of the US.

When I was 18 I was upgrading from a tiny Gorilla combo to a 3 ton Peavey combo the size of a bus. I think you did pretty well.

7. Randall

Randall

New from the factory they were in the 1700$ (Canada) range. Cannot remember the exchange rate back then.

8. Randall

Randall

Still have mine.

Attached Files:

9. dazminiimp

dazminiimp

I don't think I would/could ever sell mine. It's so good and loud!!

10. Sartori

Sartori

Recorded with mine last night. May post the recordings in a few weeks.

It really is a great sounding amp.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow! Those were some screaming deals! :eek:

Oh, and let me pile onto the D-180 love. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :D

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I had one for many years. An old friend was the original owner, and it was the first Boogie I'd heard early on and never got the sound out of my head. Several years later when he went through a divorce, I managed to snag it (and it's matching 2x15) and kept it as a backup to my Bass 400.
    I stupidly traded it for a Warwick here 6-7 years go, what a mistake that was, wish I'd never let it go. :rollno:

13. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

the d180 is an amazing amp. It is so loud that i have never gotten the volume past 5-6 with master at 10-9.5. I have it paired with an older ampeg 4x10 svt he cab. I have been thinking about getting a second cab to either use together or replace what I have. was thinking about a mesa 2x15 or a 1x18. any suggestions?

14. Randall

Randall

I have run my D-180 through my 4ohm Berg nv 412 at 5-6 volume also and it sounds :eek:
    Not bad for 180/200 watts.

15. Sartori

Sartori

I just looked at that picture again and realized that your settings in that photo are almost exactly the same as mine, ha ha.

16. Sartori

Sartori

You should try it a bit louder than that eventually. It's glorious. It loves EV 15"s. I'm running it through a Sunn 2000S cab with EV's. I want to build a second one eventually and wire them to run in series to be absolutely devastating.

17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

What's special about EV 15's to this amp?

18. someparts

someparts Supporting Member

Mesa designed the amp using the basic TL-606 ported 15" cab design that EV themselves made for the EVM-15L.

A D-180/400/400+ into a Diesel 2x15 is perfection for that clear and agressive Mesa tone.

19. Sartori

Sartori

Just sounds great with them.

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Maybe my memory is failing but I thought I was reading recently about a lack of xmax in EV 15's. Throwing all the 180w at low mids and above is necessary then?

21. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

LOL!! thats funny a D-180 with a EV loaded 2x15 doesn't lack a thing. you dont have to "throw" a thing at it.
    As for the people who say it lacks anything, you should throw something at them.

congratulations dazminiimp a very wise purchase, and yes one heck of a deal:bassist: