My MIM Jazz's makeover!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pattyløve, Dec 29, 2013.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    It was getting a bit redundant having 2 jazz basses with the same pickups and I was also starting to miss having a P bass. So i thought I'd give my MIM a makeover!

First off was changing the pickguard to a pearl Hoppus pickguard for its pickup rout. Was originally going to cut it to fit the jazz control plate but then decided it was nice to have something a little different!

-Pearl hoppus pickguard
    -Fender '62 P bass pickups, CS60 jazz pickup
    -Volume, tone setup. Each pot is push/pull to kill either the neck or bridge pickup
    -Tuners from modern player jag bass. The original ones were getting old and i liked that these looked a little more vintage.
    -Gotoh 201 bridge

Let me know what you guys think!
    PS: sorry for the sheets!

[​IMG]

2. the yeti

the yeti

3. Tbone76

Tbone76

Looks nice! I like how you incorporated pup switching with the push/pull pots. Will they also work as mute if you disengage them both?

4. bh2

bh2

Looks very nice indeed... good job

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

How did you route it, and how did it look?
    I think about doing the same thing all the time. I guess you had to drill new pickguard screw holes...

7. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Looks nice! I have a LPB Jazz bass, but I've kept it stock for the time being. Any chance of a wee photo of the P pickup route?

8. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

That is a sweet looking bass. I'm liking that idea for the push/pull mute switching, going to have to have a think about incorporating that down the line!

9. garp

garp

10. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

Very nice!

More details on the electrics please. Is it 1 volume knob controls the whole thing?

11. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

Getting ready to do the P/J thing on a Jazz body soon... Never even considered the Hoppus guard!!! Hmmm... Got some options to consider :D

Your bass looks killer! I second (or third) the request for more info on the electronics!

-robert

12. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback! Really glad to hear you guys approve of my changes!

Unfortunately, I dont have any pictures of the rout. But I had a luthier friend of mine do it quite a while back. The midline of the J rout was where we posititioned the midline of the P rout. It was neat and tidy but obviously it was just bare wood where we cut (no paint) so it wasnt the prettiest. But i knew I'd cover it up anyway.

In terms of the electronics, i wanted to keep it the same kind of simplicity as a P bass so it is in fact master volume, master tone. The volume pot when lifted cuts the neck pickup and the bridge pickup cuts the bridge pickup. When both lifted, there is no sound.

I dont know much about wiring or electronics but this is the diagram i made for myself as a guide. I used a P bass wiring diagram and just modified it to have the switches

[​IMG]