1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My moron ex-guitarist just called up to threaten me.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Gabu, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Sheesh. I am pretty bummed out. My stupid ex-guitarist is all pissed because he quit, and he owns 1/4 of the PA. He wants one of the cabinets as his share, but we want to give him cash instead, because we don't want to break up the pair. So his problem is that when we figured out what his part was, it came kind of low. The reason:

PA worth about $1000 / 4 = $250.

He owes the drummer $160. We are insisting that he pay that off now.

His share, $90.

Anyways, it sucks... Now he is bugging me about it, because the gear is kept at my house. I was thinking about moving it into storage, but that's lame because I want to have access to it too. So I guess I am going to have to keep it here, and just bear his freakin' adolescent wrath.

Thanks for listening. :) :(
  2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Anytime. :D

It doesn't sound like you are being unreasonable. Tell him to get over it, and that I said so. That should do it.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like there are four voting owners of the PA. Take a vote.
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Sounds perfect to me.

If hes making this much of a stink about it now (to the point of "threatening" you) and hes actually out of the band, do you really think you are going to ever see the $160 owed your drummer if you don't deduct it now???

Vote shmote.:rolleyes:

Guitarists.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  5. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

I know the guy's being a schmuck, but pay him his $250.00 and be done with it.

As Munji said, "4 P.A. owners, vote on it." A vote to pay the guitarist his share for the P.A. is appropriate. The debt between him and your drummer however is THEIR business, not band business. Sucky as it is, it's your drummers responsibility to collect that debt. The band enforcing repayment of that debt is inappropriate.

Miss Manners of the Bass world,
    Sleazy
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

He's a guitarist.... SHAFT HIM....*HUSH YO MOUTH* ah, BUT I'M TALKIN BOUT GUITARIST'S! *THEN WE CAN DIG IT!*
  7. PhatBasstard

Ahh, but you're assuming. Maybe the $160 is band related (did the drummer loan him money for gear or maybe that money came from the drummer's gig share for something the guitarist needed/wanted).

As far as a "band" vote: He took himself out of "band business" when he quit. Yes hes owed something and should be paid the apropriate amount but he gets to vote on squat.
  8. Gabu

Gabu

Guitarist called up and apologised for losing his temper, and has for the most part, agreed to the original deal.

I am glad he settled down. The other guys are sceptical, but hopefully he follows through with it and we can all move on.
  9. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

If the 160 came out of a band fund or kitty, sock it to him. But if the drummer borrowed it to said guitarist after being paid, it's personal business.

Hey, I don't like guitarists either, but without ettiquette and protocol, we're no better than they are!:p
  10. PhatBasstard

Even though this is bad grammar (should be "But if the drummer loaned it to...."), I thought I was the only person who often will say it like this.
    LOL :D
  11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

my girlfriend says "borrow me some money" all the time. I used to correct her grammar, now I just ask "what's it worth"...;)
  12. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

ARRRRGH!!!!:D My drummer corrects me on that one all the time. You'd think I would have leaned by now.
  13. ThePez

ThePez

Leaned on what?
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Man....you guys are brutal. :D

I hope it works out, Gabu. It only makes sense that he clears his debts before he pockets any cash. I'm glad to read that it appears he's come to his senses.

**Checking spelling, grammar, etc before hitting 'Submit'**
  15. ThePez

ThePez

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I tell everyone I meet:

NEVER SPLIT THE COST OF A PA SYSTEM BETWEEN BAND MEMBERS!

For this exact reason. ;)

Though our last band, the singer and drummer split the cost, but they are brothers, so that's a little bit different.
  17. PhatBasstard

This is OK, but then don't gripe if the guy(s) that put out all the $ for the P.A. system make a little more from the gigs.

Unless, of course, its the lone singer that doesn't have to put out $ for anything else (like guitar, bass, or keyboard gear).
  18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Disclosures:
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I had a guitarist threaten me once. We'd just finished a gig and were splitting the money. I didn't have a car and the drummer gave me lifts to gigs, so I had an arrangement with him to give him a few bucks every now and then for gas etc. But the guitarist, having given me a lift twice in the past year (that he offered, I didn't ask for) tried to take the money.

This was also after I had accidentally cut up my hand before the gig and played the whole night with my left hand bandaged.

After the threats started, the rest of the band basically told him to can it. I quit them a few months later too.

Don't put up with crap like this. If your bandmates can't be reasonable and have to resort to this crap, leave. Trust me, you'd be better off.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman

How did this turn out?
  20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Huh??? The OPs last activity on this board was over 2 years ago, and this thread was from 2002......