1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My new Ampeg B-25B (some help needed!)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by stefandisgust, Jan 6, 2014.

1. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

Disclosures:
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    Hey guys,
    Haven't had a tube amp in the collection, for the last year or two...

Had some store credit...took this guy. Cool lookin', sounded good, didn't break the bank.

Been reading up on these all night. Found all sorts of info. on the ohm load thing (fake jack, ext. cab jack, etc.)

The one thing I can't seem to find more info on is the DATE on this thing... This is the model that I feel I see the LEAST when searching for images of this amp. Any help?

Attached Files:

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Those control panel graphics are 1975-1980. To narrow it down more you'd need to check individual part dates inside the amp. My earlier 70s amps have part codes stamped in various part of the chassis that seem to correspond to the year of manufacture, but I don't have enough of them to be sure that's an accurate measure and I don't know if that continued in the late 70s. Congrats on the amp.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First B-25B I've seen that looked like that, too. What Corey said. They can't be dated by serials, so pot and transformer codes are the only reliable way to date it.
  4. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Isn't that a V4B?
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nope, V4B only has two inputs, not 4.
  6. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

The B25-B is a 50 watt bass amp?
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Preamp similar to the B-15S (at least looks similar on the schems) with a B-18N power section (7199 PI, 7027 output, 5AR4 rectifier). Has the same 8/16 ohm OT business as the B15/18 series amps.
  9. nysbob

nysbob

They're nice little amps. That's a very clean specimen.

I don't think many were made during the Magnavox era as that was the age of the power madness.
  10. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

If above information is indeed correct you have an awesome head on your hands. A DI on the back and you would have bass goodness over all your recordings...

BUT.... It probably needs a complete overhaul. So tube failiure doesn't kill the output transformer!!