1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My new Fender Amer Nitro (Satin) P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 11, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

Got a flyer in the mail today from Guitar Center and left skid marks in the drive way getting this bass for $659.

It's $699 per their President's Day sale, but they lost the deluxe gig bag that goes with it, so they knocked $40 off.

So what exactly did I buy? Is this simply an American P-bass w/ USA electronics, Mexi hardware and a cheap satin finish? That's what I'm guessing.

The back of the headstock says "American Special", but "Special" is mentioned nowhere in the ad I received.

Not much info on the internet about this model. Not listed on Fender web site. It this one of those Guitar Center only models?

[​IMG]
  2. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor Supporting Member

I remember being impressed by that model when I played it. But, it could just have been a "Good" Fender.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Congrats on a very cool P-bass! Great deal.
  4. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

5. jandscotten

jandscotten

We have one of those at the Waco GC. Been here for quite a while. I really liked it but couldn't justify getting it just for the finish because I think my RW sounds a bit better to my taste.
    Maybe it will drop from the $899 price tag down also.
  6. brock29609

The price drops to $699 effective Feb 13 (thru Feb 17) nation wide.

My GC first told me they would hold it for me with a 25% deposit until the sale went into effect, but then at checkout they decided to let me take it home today for the sale price.
  7. brock29609

8. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

Congrats, that's a beauty! Nice to have something like that to occupy your time during the snowstorm.
  9. brock29609

Last snow storm I bought an electric drum set. Now today, this bass. This snow is getting expensive.
  10. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

It's a Guitar Center exclusive. American Precision Special with Satin Honeyburst finish.

American Specials don't have a string through body, they have the Greasebucket tone circuit and American P pickup.

I have owned one for over a year and I like it very much.

Congrats and enjoy!!
  11. brock29609

So mine is a garden variety American Special, but with a store-exclusive body finish?

I'm coming out of a 8-year bass hibernation, so I guess I need to look up this greasebucket situation. Not familiar with it. I've been out of touch for years.
  12. jmbjandfam

Correct
  13. brock29609

Wow, according to my bathroom scale it weighs 7.9 lbs. I knew it was light, but didn't think it was that light.
  14. jmbjandfam

Yeah mine is just a touch over 8 lbs and one of the things that attracted me. I also like the feel of the finish.
  15. Tbone76

Tbone76

There's a thread on tb about this bass. I love mine. Mine doesn't have the greasebucket tone control, however, and it was made in 2012. I did buy mine used, so the previous owner may have switched it out. It has a hand stained finish with a nitro topcoat. Mine has started to get a little shiny on the forearm contour, and dings show up fairly easily. Great grab, congrats!

EDIT: Here's the link (if I did this right..)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/2012-american-special-p-bass-honeyburst-927909/
  16. brock29609

My serial # starts with US12, so I'm guessing it's a '12 too. If I decide to swap out the pups or pickguard I'll investigate the wiring.
  17. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    They also have the ultra vintage folded L bracket bridge most people piss and moan about for no good reason instead of the higher mass 2 way load vintage bridge. I think its a steal although I haven't heard rave reviews about the greasebucket tone circuit. Drop and orange .047 cap in her and rockout...
  18. Tbone76

Tbone76

Here's mine with a tort guard next to my MIJ 70's Jazz:
    [​IMG]
  19. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Nice bass. I played one recently at Guitar Center and it was light and played great. Greasebucket is worthless on that bass though. I would bypass that circuit and enjoy the s***t out of her.
  20. brock29609

Ooooo I like the tort guard. Might need to pair one with white pickup covers.

Might need consider a cream or mint guard as well.