1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My new Grover light weight tuners for Fender's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B String, Feb 7, 2014.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Just got a set of the new Grover 143 series light weight tuners about a month ago. These are a direct retro fit on my Fender 04 American deluxe Jazz V. In the past years I've had to replace a few of my tuners with stock Fender parts with luke warm results. These tuners feel tighter and more accurate, and seem to hold the tuning better.
    These replace the tuners with the black nylon or plastic on the back. They have the two round nubs that fit into holes on the back of the headstock. I put mine up to the other Fender style tuners that are all chrome with the "F" on the back of the tuner. The 143's seem to be a direct fit for those as well with less weight. Good for the neck dive issues.

Again, I've used them for a month and am completely happy with them. They look like they'll fit most of the Fender's that use the round nubs instead of screws.

2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That's good news for folks with those plastic tuners (not one of Fenders' better ideas). As I understand it, there have been no drop-in replacement tuners available. The Grovers should sell like hotcakes.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

These are very similar to the Fender tuners but I think made with better materials. Plus they seem to retro fit all the Fender basses with the two holes. I'm a big Hipshot fan, but with these it's an easy light weight option.
    I'm not quite sure who has them. Maybe call (email) Grover about the 143 series tuners.

I see these selling too.