1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My new Kramer XL 24 and Nylon Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XsSpeed, Dec 18, 2013.

1. XsSpeed

XsSpeed Supporting Member

I just picked this up today. There's some fret wear (especially the E zero fret) and I was wondering if nylon tapewound strings would help prevent further fret wear. I know they're thuddy but the bass is tinny....

I was also thinking of stringing it BEAD. Although maybe the scale length is too short...

The staticy pots need a good cleaning too.

Any input on the strings?

[​IMG]

2. Reptileroundabo

Reptileroundabo Polka till you puke.. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist for Spector basses
    stunning bass, love the tuning fork headstocks. Curious to how it would sound BEAD. B may be a bit dull, but then again, the aluminum neck may counteract that. If you do, let me know! interested in how it sounds :) Ill bet those pickups sound sweet :) as far as the zero fret wear, i would just use the strings that you like. a zero fret would cost you next to nothing to get replaced. Wouldn't need leveling, and really requires little work. I replaced the zero fret on my vacarro due to the same issue, took about 10 minutes. if your not comfortable doing it yourself, It would cost around $15 to get it replaced if it gets bad enough.

3. Reptileroundabo

Reptileroundabo Polka till you puke.. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist for Spector basses
    Is that a short scale btw?

4. XsSpeed

medium 32 or 33"

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. XsSpeed

thanks for the feedback too reptileroundabo. I'm wondering if nylons would work. And the differences between D'addario, Labella, rotosound etc.