1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My new LaBella flats. Bad String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 27, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

My 760FL strings just arrived (43-104). Installed them (top loaded), and the E, A & D strings sound just as reviews have described. Very even and thumpy w/ good character. However, the G string harshly quacks like a freakin' duck. Sounds as if I got an odd ball string from a different set.

Normal? Do they just need to break in? Or, did I get a bad string.

P.S. I play with a pick so maybe this magnifies the harshness of new strings.
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Very common with new strings. G is always the hardest to tame.
    Play them for at least an hour or two a day for a few weeks and you will see improvement.
    That being said i cant hear what you are hearing and it could possibly be in need of a proper setup as well.
  3. shawshank72

PS
    As a pick player myself, different makes and sizes and styles create different tones.
  4. brock29609

I know new flat get tamer as time marches on, I just didn't expect one string to sound so different from the rest. I tweaked the pickup height and no luck. Thanks.

Any other comments from folks with first-hand experience with this set?
  5. shawshank72

Are you sure the quack isnt coming from the string slapping against a fret?
    Might need to adjust string height.
  6. brock29609

The bass is set up well. No issues there.
  7. shawshank72

Strange.
    Labellas have a hi mid sound when new but never ime have i heard them quack.
    If you bought from Jason at bassstringsonline im very sure he will help out.
  8. brock29609

I did and I sent them a message to their general mailbox.
  9. brock29609

Attached is a sound clip of what I'm dealing with.

Attached Files:

10. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP Supporting Member

I can't give you any solid advice that has not been given already so this is somewhat of a troll, but that G does sound distinctly different. It almost sounds like a broken in round with an upper mid bump... but then again I am not an expert.
  11. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Okay, yeah. That does sound really different.
    What kind of bass is it on the recording out of curiosity?

EDIT: I would send this clip to labella and see if they could give you a new set.
  12. donn

donn

That's ridiculously out of whack. I wouldn't waste a minute trying to make that work. I haven't tried 760FL myself, but my hunch is that if you made that same recording with a good set, half of us wouldn't be able to accurately tell when you hit the G string. That's not a good set, or something else is fubared.
  13. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

I had a problem with a LaBella G string that simply would not intonate. I called the company and they replaced it happily; the replacement was fine. Had a very pleasant chat with the owner, too.
  14. brock29609

The kind folks at BassStringsOnline are all over it. They have the sound clip and are talking to La Bella.

Sounds great other than that one wonky string, right?! I'll be very pleased with these strings if I can get the G sorted out. That was recorded with my smart phone.

Here's my gear:
    Fender medium pick
    2012 American P-Bass Special
    Satin nitro honey burst body w/ maple fretboard
    Res-o-lite tuners
    Fender "Original" pickup
    Gotoh 201 clone bridge (soon to be Schaller 3D-4)
    Genz-Benz GBE 600 head
    Epifani UL-10 cab
    Bag End S-15 cab
  15. brock29609

Update: I remove the strings and put them on a different bass. The G twang is still there but has diminished a bunch.

I bought a second set of 760FL and the G from that set has the quacky twang in full force, just like the first set. I guess that's just the nature of these strings. I think the next set I buy will be 760FS. The G from the FL strings sound awful.

No replacement string has arrived from La Bella yet.
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've used a lot of 760FL strings and never encountered that.

I'm a bit at a loss. I guess one thing would be to check string to pickup distance on the G and see if it's different.

Your comment about the G "twang" still being there on another bass but less inclines me to think the first bass is at least part of the cause.
  17. brock29609

I really doubt the bass is the culprit. I think the only reason the G string quacks less on the 2nd bass is because it's had a week to stretch out. As a matter of fact, the first bass (which has worn 2 separate sets of new FL strings) had a bridge change between the first and 2nd set. Same result with either bridge.