1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

My new Markbass New York 804 (4 x 8")

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassDudeSA, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BassDudeSA

BassDudeSA

I remember growing up back in the day (70s and 80s) thinking that a real bass system had to include a 2x15 cab. When 10s for bass became popular I was skeptical as most guitar cabs used 12s, so how could bass speakers that were smaller than guitar speakers be any good? Anyway, I grew up, tried some 10s, and have used a Carvin BRX Neo cab with 4-10s for years. I have blown too many 2x10 cabs to mention and will never use one alone again, but that is for another thread.

So I heard about the Markbass NY 604 with the four six inchers and wondered how good those could be. But the Bass Player mag review as well as other reviews were fantastic. So when I saw that there was a new Markbass NY 804 coming out, with four eights, I thought I'd give it a try. Neo speakers, light, compact, if the sixers could do it then the eights must do it even better.

So I pre-ordered my cab and received it a few days ago. I just used it for a 4-hour gig last night. Very nice. Our lead guitarist even mentioned that the cab had a very tight bass response. Plenty of low end coming out of this compact cab, but without the "boominess" of cabs with larger speakers. It may not have that "thunder" but it definitely delivers, and no crapping out that I heard, even at a nice loud volume. Hard to say how it sounded up front as I only stood in front of the amp on a small stage. Small rooom and it was not going through the PA. To give it a full review I would have to hear it in several different settings, but I really like what I've heard so far. I also just recived the Markbass Traveler 121H (1 x 12 cab) to use along with it, though I did not use that one last night. I am figuring that the 4 x 8 along with the 1 x 12 should be quite the mini-stack going forward.

The speakers are yellow like with most Marbass cabs. The pictures on this MF link shows them as being black.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...-804-800W-4x8-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=430744

2. dlvalure

dlvalure

looks real nice i jus bought a mark bass f1 had to let my svt 2 pro go and it sounds a lot cleaner

3. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Expendable Supporting Member

Any updates on your opinion of this enclosure?

Mark

4. Crabby

Crabby

It seems like a very pricey cab regardless of how good it sounds. I had the SWR 8x8 cab back in the early nineties and really liked it. I actually had a pair of them and they sounded huge together but I only ever used one cab live. Even played gigs without PA support and that cab was a monster. I imagine a pair of these Markbass 4x8's would slay but you would be pushing 2 grand for a pair....ouch!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassDudeSA

BassDudeSA

Sorry, took me a while to get back to this. There have been mentions about price. Yeah, a little pricey, but Markbass gear isn't cheap. I waited for a 15% off sale so I'm happy with the price. Great cab. I have used it for several gigs now including last night, though I usually pair this with a Markbass 1-12" cab that I also purchased. This 4x8 gives plenty of low end, very clean, without the boominess. So for some people I am sure it would be great on it's own. Though I am an aggresive player and really push those speakers hard, so for my efforts using one of these by itself is probably not enough. With that additional 12" I am set perfectly and love it.

My main rig used to be a Carvin stack with a 4x10 cab and a 1x18. Now with this "mini-stack" of a 4x8 and a 1x12 I may not have AS huge a sound, but a real nice system that can handle any club, and that is easy on my back and fits in any car easily.

7. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Expendable Supporting Member

Thanks for the update BassDudeSA, sounds like a pair of them would kill! Off topic, you guys don't want your former city manager back do you?

Mark

8. Lester4string

Lester4string

I have this and love this cab! I have been lugging around a monstrous Crate 2x10+18 cab (90+lbs), and then a Bag End 2x10 (60+ lbs). Both of which have served their purposes in bands I have played in. But when Im playing on stage with PA assist and understandably low stage volume expectations, i have been using only a fraction of the volume potential of these larger set ups.

I needed a more modular tighter set up that would double well as an enclosure for electric and upright. The NY 4x8 is the answer. I wouldn't bring this to a hard rock show, but for my jazz, show band, and musical theatre gigs Im getting a tight round bass sound from both my fender and my upright. When I use the 2x10 for upright, I have had feedback issues, none of that with new NY 4x8.

If I needed more volume with this setup and had unlimited pockets, I would simply run two of these cabs off my LMIII the volume output of that would certainly rival either the 2x10 or the huge biamp cab. All three setups have their purpose, but I am happy to move the new mini rig, as opposed to dreading moving the other rigs.

One gripe I have is that it is hard to hear as it is smal and doesnt rock back. Im sure an amp stand would solve that (but then the amp wouldnt rest on top unless I velcro it on.

As above. High price luxury. If I didnt have to carry gear up and down stairs or other long distances maybe I wouldnt have it. As it is I have to play in all sorts of weird places, on boats, church basements and moving floats in parade, etc.

9. BassDudeSA

BassDudeSA

MW, sorry I'm not familiar with the old Seattle city manager. Sounds like he works in AZ now. Well... good luck!

Lester, I agree that the cab is a little hard to hear on the floor. Standing in front of it with the speakers at your knees and below, yeah, I need more than that too. With my 1-12" on top I am set pretty good though. I think the 4x8" would do well with rock though, that is what I play and it's fine. Though I agree that on it's own it would probably need to be hiked up some, just like any other little cab, a 2x10" for example.

10. jybarry

jybarry

For those of you that have one. Can you please tell me exactly which model B&C speaker they are using in this cab. I have an old SWR Baby Blue with two 8" speakers in it and the original speakers are done. I want to replace them but have had trouble finding an 8" that seems like a good fit. I'd love to know what Markbass is using in this model. I would appreciate the info. THanks.

11. jybarry

jybarry

12. jybarry

jybarry

Please tell me what model speaker is in the cab (and ohmage). I'd really like to know. Pretty please.

13. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

I doubt very much that this information is freely available.

14. Gomeztool

Gomeztool Banned

I'd love one of these underneath my NY604

15. Avezzano

Avezzano

Shoot an email directly to Marco De Virgiliis explaining the problem you have: you might be shocked at how good they are. Maybe they will even sell you the speakers!

;)

16. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I had one of the 604's that I would use for small jobs. The sound was so good that I recently just added a second one. All I can say is unbelievable. In my opinion they sound as good as the 410/115 set up i used to use. I wouldn't be surprised if two of those 804's would be equally as good if not better. These cabinets are very impressive the way they carry the low end. Good choice and good luck with the cab.

17. sm3rk

sm3rk

Hi, i have one. It is realy nice cab. if i compare it with my ex-markbass102 treveler, 804 has much more basses but maybe little bit less low mids .. i think if someone will measure it, there will be a hole somewhere arond 300 Hz, so the sound is less dirty and agresive than treveler 102, but the it is more compact and "elastic"...
    i think it could play great with some smaller 15-cab or bigger 12-cab. But if it used as a stand alone is also good choice. I compared it with the 604 and NY 121 and only if these cabs play together has simmilar full sound.
    The horn also works well I use it somewhere about midle of its range.
    So if i conclude it NY804 is full range sounding cab with heavy bottoms but also with very fast response and concrete and "readable" sound. It is great for slap but also for fast finger style where you need a lot of basses for example for reggae..

18. davideuck

davideuck

Other opinions on this cab? :)
    Someone did an A/B test with other cabs, same brand or other brands... ?

Someone said that this cab it's not loud and it farts out just at medium-low volumes... is this true?? :meh:

19. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Bumping this old thread for more opinions. I'm a huge fan of the old 2x8 SWR Baby Blue cabs and the New York 804 looks extremely interesting.

20. sbassface

sbassface Supporting Member

this cab has looked interesting to me since it came out, having said that I like 8" speakers, in general. How loud do you need to be? I'm really intrigued by the Crazy 8's cabinet (two 8 inch speakers) with a modern twist ie. increased power handling and a bunch I'm not mentioning.

21. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

I pulled the trigger and ordered one today. I have a good relationship with the shop and they do pretty high volume so if I really don't like it I can gracefully back out. Based on the 2x10, 4x10 and 1x12 Markbass Standard and New York cabs I've heard I'd be very surprised if it wasn't something I liked.