My New (to me) Peavey Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I'd been looking for an inexpensive bass to use as backup on gigs and came across this used Peavey Fury for only $200 Canadian. It's Peavey's version of a P bass. According to Wikipedia, the serial number dates it to 1987, making it the oldest bass I own. It's well made and plays great. Unfortunately, the previous owner(s) didn't take care of it very well but it's held up over the years. There are all kinds of dings and the head stock looks like something has been chewing on it. If you like relicing, this is your baby! The frets are in good shape though and I was able to lower the action without any buzzing. I'm going to fiddle with the truss rod once I find the right tool.

The notes ring out nicely and it's got that P bass sound. The tone control seems to make very little change in the sound. I don’t know if that's normal for this particular bass or if a previous owner messed with the electronics.

I wanted a beater that I could just throw in the trunk and not worry about and I wound up with a quality instrument. Hats off to Peavey!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Nice!! Congrats!!!!

If you can solder, for about 20 bucks you can buy a P bass wiring kit on eBay. That will help the sound and tone control immensely :) I put them in several Peavey's I've owned. Learning to solder isn't too hard and no one can see inside your bass when it's done :D

3. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Thanks for the tip! I may look into that. What does it come with? Pots? Capacitors?

Do you know what tool I would need to adjust the truss rod? Is it something sold only by Peavey? I tried my Carvin truss rod adjuster tool but it's not the right size.

4. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

5/16" thin walled truss rod tool. A gibson truss adjuster will usually work, or a 1/4 drive 5/16" socket with an extension angled in.

You also may not need to replace the entire wiring harness. Peavey used quality components, but typically used .02 capacitors. If you replace it with a .047 to .05 cap it will sound more like a modern P-bass, and a .1 will allow more treble roll-off like a fifties precision.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

It comes with everything, pots, caps, jack, even the cloth covered wire. I like the sound that the cap in the kit provides but you can easily experiment with others. Once you do one and get the soldering down you'll be set for life :D

7. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

I'm not trying to hijack thiis post, but I do have a question regarding these bases. :bag:

I myself have one that is currently stripped of all electronics and a defretted maple fingerboard (courtesy of yours truely about 18 yrs ago during my Jaco phase).:scowl: Anyways, are the necks that fit these bodies "universal" meaning I can buy an aftermarket neck to stick on, or am I going to have to modify anything I put on. Same question regarding a P bass pickguard. Thanks

8. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

You really do want to put a 21 Fret peavey neck on it. The heal size of a PV are typically smaller than the universal "Fender" necks. Also it has 21 frets versus 20 for a Fender style. Why not just take it to a luthier/technician and have it refretted? It will probably cost less than a replacement neck anyway.

As for the pickguard, the Fury body shape is different than the precision, so I doubt that precision guards would work. You could take it to a local shop and check it, but I think you will be out of luck. Either you will have to order one, or have a luthier cut you one.

9. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

Okay! Thanks bassmanroncke - carry on.

10. cassanova

cassanova

There is one of those sitting in a pawn shop here for $149. Fit and finish on it look good, haven't played it through and amp but it plays nice. I'm not a 4 string kinda guy so I can't find a reason to rationalize the purchase.

11. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Thanks, the 5/16" socket did the trick!

I don't plan on upgrading the electronics but I might try cleaning the bass up a bit. Whoever owned it before me really went out of their way to inflict damage. Someone took all the finish off the back of the headstock. Not sure why they would do this unless it was to sand off the serial number (which is still legible). Part of the E string tuner is bent and not flush with the back of the headstock. There are some spots of hardened gunk on the front of the body. If I ever meet the previous owner I'll ask him "What did that bass ever do to you?!!!"

12. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Gold Supporting Member

Where in Florida?

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

If you dial these in they'll consistently beat the pants off an average PBass.

Sold one - regretting it.

T.

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I decided to put a well regarded, somewhat expensive replacement pickup in mine, and the stock pickup sounded better, IMO. These are really nice basses. Have fun cleaning it up and playing!

15. Mesa

Mesa

I ended up with your old black one, and despite an upward kick in the neck tongue (not uncommon, I've heard), she sounds outstanding. Good enough, in fact, that I just scored me another one (red) on a deal too good to pass up.

I've always been a fan of Peavey amps and cabs (my first was a TNT, still have an old Series head, and I recently had a 410TX cab I regret selling), and my recent foray into their basses has been fun, rewarding, and not very expensive.

16. Mesa

Mesa

FWIW, I recently purchased two Fury p-basses from different sources. According to the Peavey wiki, the serial numbers indicate a manufacture date of 1994 for both. Both basses have the same .047 cap wired in.

One bass has electronics that are in great shape, and I'll leave that one alone. The other has some damage to the pots and a noisy jack, so I'll replace those. We'll see if there's a significant tonal change.

These are great sounding, great playing basses for pretty cheap. The neck shape alone is worth the price of admission.

17. Newbie-Doo

Newbie-Doo

I picked up a this beat up '92 Foundation for $50 and liked it so much I decided to get another Peavey with a rosewood fretboard.

This '89 Fury was delivered today. According to the Wiki Peavey page, this should be an '87, but the date stamp in the neck pocket says May 1989.

Attached Files:

18. bamba22

bamba22

Disclosures:
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    I don't like Peavey's.
    I had 4 and 5 strings Peavey's and i didn't like there sound

19. ericw

ericw

Looks nice! I've been looking for one of these.

20. TeleTristan

TeleTristan

my first bass is an '89 Fury... still play it often (I got it brand new, and until a year ago I managed to keep the plastic on the pickguard). I would like to put a nicer bridge on it, but I find the electronics to be acceptable... today at least.

21. BrianKrashpad

BrianKrashpad

OP-- congrats! The USA Peaveys are one of the greatest bangs for buck around. I have the prior version of the Fury to yours (resembles a T-20 rather than a P-bass), as well as a T-40.

My daughter has a '90's Foundation (I bought it for her for her 16th birthday) that looks just like yours, same color and maple board. One of her friends from church was also looking for a bass and I found her the same bass but in red. They're great, and ridiculously inexpensive.