My New Used 50th Anniv Ampeg 810 with BIG logo; 1st One I've Seen Like It

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Drove 6 hours total earlier tonight to pick up this beast of major mojo... And I've spent the past 2.5 hours blowing out the cobwebs with watts. The cab sat in a spare room of a house for over a year collecting dust (as well as one small splat of bird sh*t.)
    LOVE IT. It's definitely replacing one of my "plain-jane" 810s.
    Strangely, it has the towel-bar handle, but no skid rails. Previous owner said it's never had them, and I looked closely tonight and couldn't see any screw-holes.
    The guy said he replaced the caster wheels a few years ago. Not the whole casters, just the wheels: he knocked out the axles and replaced the wheels themselves, then refitted the axles, because he couldn't find exact-size replacements that would mount to the factory holes in the cabinet. He also did a nice job of bracing the whole bottom caster-mounting plate with L-brackets on either side. All in all, this thing is tight as a tank.

Anyone ever seen one with the huge logo instead of the "A"-wave square plate logo?
    (Guessing JimmyM will be along shortly on this!)

Attached Files:

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Ampeg makes a metal script logo that is used on some amps. It is about 6 ¼" long. I can't tell from your pic if the scale is the same but if it is close it is probably the same one.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whoa! Way cool! Never saw one of those before. Got nothing to offer except a hearty "Have fun!"
  4. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Just measured it, and it's exactly a foot long ("that'swhatshesaid" haha).
    With the wear on the logo and Tolex, and the silver grille, the first thing I think of with this cab is "1960s." In fact, because the seller didn't post pics of anything but a single photo of the top half of the cab with it stuck behind junk in the spare room, I was almost convinced it was going to be vintage. But when I got there and made it to that side of the room and saw the Speakon connections and that "50th" plate, I was amazed... and relieved. I run 1,450 watts into my 810s, so I would've blown a vintage one to shreds since they can't take the power the latter cabs do. I realize there's reflection on the jackplate, but the specs are the normal 800W/1600W on this one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

As long as it sounds good, that's all that is important.

At 12" they clearly want to make a BIG impression with the logo.

The 50th Anniversary products were released in 1999. If you removed the back plate and used a flashlight you might be able to see a code on the speaker that could be used to date it, otherwise the grille cloth and speaker would need to be removed to see the numbers. Your serial number can also be used to date the cab.
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That's definitely a ground shaker.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    And you got one that was made before the dark speaker invasion of mid-2000! Great sounding cabs, those 90's 810e's and av's.
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Don't know if it's the original logo, but that is my favorite style of all the Ampeg logo's. Great looking cab for sure.
  10. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Yeah, this one has got a great "voice," there's no other way to put it. Just a fantastic-sounding cab, a little more middy-sounding than my other two (early 2000s USAs), but not in a bad way. Very pronounced articulation, nothing's geting buried under woofy resonance. I'm looking forward to hearing it in the mix on Wednesday night at practice; until then, I'll keep shaking stuff off the tables with it at the other end of the house.

and thanks, will33, I'm digging the looks too. It's got plenty of Tolex scrapes and some wood showing, but it's truly got some visual (and audio) mojo going on! I might try to get another pic or two up in a short while
  11. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Congrats on the new cab!

The logo is from a different model though (if you look close, you may see holes in the grill from the original).

I used to own a '92 VL503 that had the large logo - but all the AV cab's use the same logo as the the other modern 810's
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    My guess is they had some leftover VL logos and did the anniversary cab as a way to use them up ;)
  13. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Very cool. Congratulations!