My newest lady...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by easyvision, Nov 17, 2012.

1. easyvision

easyvision

Oddly enough, also my oldest!

Picked her up a couple months back. She's a 70's Kay precision copy. Sounds absolutely fantastic, you really can hear the age.

I'm usually more of an active player, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the massive range of tones I can get out of this thing. Each slight twist of the tone knob gets a unique sound, plus there's the obvious playing with my fingers attacking different parts of the string.

Flatwounds obviously ;) I added the ashtrays to complete the look. She's an absolute stunner, definitely worth showing off so here you go!

Oh and for anyone wanting to hear how she sounds, check out the three demo tracks uploaded on my bands Reverbnation account. It was a very rough live recording with me plugged straight into the DI to avoid overspill from the drum mics but it came out rather well if I do say so!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to finish it off, a little family shot before I put the ashtrays on. All that's missing is my 6 string fretted...

[​IMG]
  2. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Looks great. Natural finish with a black pickguard is one of my favorite looks. Also think the chicken head knob is awesome! Wish more people used them.
  3. easyvision

easyvision

Thank you! The chicken head knob was a complete accident. It came with two of the silver knobs, but my mate had a spare chicken head knob lying about. I'm gonna mark some initials around it so when I want to sound like Larry Graham, I set it to LG, James Jamerson, JJ. Oh and for the volume, it'll have an F for full, and a JN for Jason Newstead. :p
  4. Immigrant

Immigrant

Pretty cool!

Now of I could poo on your parade- it seems as though there is a gap between your neck and pocket. Are the neck screws tight? Maybe it's an optical (camera) illusion, but your action looks so high it borders on unplayable.

If you like it, that's what counts! Those old copies are cool.

Edit: Looking again, it's obvious the neck has shifted in the pocket. You'll like the bass even more if you fix it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. easyvision

easyvision

Think that must just be the camera angle. The neck needed a bit of work when I got it, but it's fine now. The action's actually really low. By my standards anyway.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

What does age sound like?
  8. easyvision

easyvision

It's very hard to describe. It just has a certain character to it that none of my other basses have. Makes it sound really old and vintage. Have a listen to the demos and you'll see what I mean.
  9. chef wong

chef wong

Just the idea of Kay doing Fender is awesome. Is that a Surine on the right?
  10. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

That's really, really pretty. What's the neck wood? It looks like maple in the side picture, but the front photo looks very cool is it a veneered stock? Maybe it's me, but something about the neck looks really cool
  11. easyvision

easyvision

They definitely did something right. 40 years on and it still sounds incredible! Nope, it's a Mazeti. Found it on eBay. I've got a fretted 6 of the same model, just different pick ups.

Cheers man. In all honesty, it was the neck that caught my eye at first. It's got a coating on it, but I'm almost 100% positive it's a maple fretboard. Looks a bit darker than maple, but that's likely down to the coating. No matter what it is, it's a dream to play. Frets are really small on it too so playing quickly and accurately is just so easy.