My one stop bass was dropped by a friend

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by R0VER, Sep 26, 2013.

1. R0VER

R0VER

Dear all,

In between practice last weekend, an absent minded friend of mine decided to pick up my go-to bass and give it the guitarist treatment. Once he was done he placed it on a chair from where I saw it sliding back down and hitting the floor. It was still plugged in at the time.

Now I've never treatment my instruments in such a manner so it obviously hurt, and it was an instrument that I've put plenty of time and money into and modified on my own. When I got to it, I saw that one of the pickup screws had come out from the impact. I wanted to see the damage done aurally - the bass and mid frequencies sounded extremely distorted around the lower notes.
    It's a 5string with a high c string replacing the low b.

A friend recommended I change the batteries on it. I did, and I rechecked. The sound was much better although a lower lever of distortion is now audible on all notes, both in passive and active mode. All seems to be okay with the wiring from the surface at least.

Could someone please help me figure out what is going on? Guitar techs where I live are non-existent.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. Crater

Crater

Check the simple items first, namely the output jack. If the bass was plugged in when it fell, it could have "tweaked" the output jack and bent the metal contact that holds the plug in. You might try gently bending the contact back in place, or replace the jack altogether if you can solder.
  3. pebo

pebo

Has the pickup heights changed? Maybe check that as well.
  4. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Have you asked your friend to come up with some money to help you fix this?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist Supporting Member

I'd also guess the jack got jacked (see what I did there?), when the bass hit the floor. I don't know what kind of bass you've got, but if one sliding half-fall from a chair is enough to damage the electronics, you've got a seriously frail bird. By contrast, my beater bass has hit the floor (and cymbal stands, and guitarists foreheads, and the walls of teensy-tiny stages) about 548 times in the last decade or so, and it still performs like a champ.
  7. socialleper

socialleper

This is the exact reason why no one else touches my basses.
  8. preside

preside

If you listed where you live someone might know a tec in your area
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

1. delete your duplicate thread please :)

2. what kind of bass is it? pics?

3. chances are a drop from a chair to the floor didn't hurt anything aside from any dings or scratches. sometimes we'll notice things we didn't previously pay any attention to after an incident, or even after a trip to the tech (that one happens often enough :mad:)

4. look for something obvious, like a pickup that's now way too close to the strings.