1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My one stop bass was dropped by a friend

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by R0VER, Sep 26, 2013.

1. R0VER

R0VER

Dear all,

In between practice last weekend, an absent minded friend of mine decided to pick up my go-to bass and give it the guitarist treatment. Once he was done he placed it on a chair from where I saw it sliding back down and hitting the floor. It was still plugged in at the time.

Now I've never treatment my instruments in such a manner so it obviously hurt, and it was an instrument that I've put plenty of time and money into and modified on my own. When I got to it, I saw that one of the pickup screws had come out from the impact. I wanted to see the damage done aurally - the bass and mid frequencies sounded extremely distorted around the lower notes.

It's a 5string with a high c string replacing the low b.

A friend recommended I change the batteries on it. I did, and I rechecked. The sound was much better although a lower lever of distortion is now audible on all notes, both in passive and active mode. All seems to be okay with the wiring from the surface at least.

Could someone please help me figure out what is going on? Guitar techs where I live are non-existent.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. funkbass187

funkbass187

Could have knocked a solder joint loose. I had a sketchy solder joint in my bass once and experienced something similar to what you're describing. The lower frequencies vibrate through the body more and can cause the connection to cut in and out. Start at the pickups and work your way back checking all the connections
  3. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

Is this a new epidemic? This happened to somebody in another thread only 3 hours and 2 minutes earlier.