1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Opinion on Rolling Stone Magazine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

4/7/14

Rolling Stone Magazine

Does this magazine have any credibility nowadays? Seriously, saying a Kanye West album is a masterpiece gives them zero credibility with me. The writers of this magazine are so wishy wahsy, and basically change to fit with the times. Good artists have been blasted in the past by Rolling Stone, but nowadays they are given praise. In the beginning, this magazine actually gave Led Zeppelin terrible reviews. The bands they originally snubbed, now are held in very high regard. Ironically, the magazine is run by the same music snobs as the Rock Hall. It seemed in the late 60s, this magazine compared everything to Cream, and it got quite tiresome.

The magazine altogether bores me. The topics and articles aren't that insightful. You probably could find something more interesting on the back of a cereal box. The writers also seem to be huge jerks, and overly biased. Why must the reviews change over time? It seems like if a review is criticized, they will eventually change it. It seems like Rolling Stone doesn't stick to their guns, they do stick with the bandwagon approach. Unfortunately, the magazine is run by Jann Wenner, who seems like a major nincompoop. I don't believe this magazine will ever get better, they will keep changing opinions to fit in and stay relevant today.

Check out my site if you wish:
    http://awesomeinsights.weebly.com/miscellaneous.html

2. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

rs/wenner have not had any credibility since they went from a newspaper to a glossy slick mag full of ads for hair gels and designer duds....there was the odd article and i always liked hst,but is it really any more than a people magazine with edgier haircuts....

Pet Sounds likes this.
  3. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

I use to get it all the time in the late 70's early 80's. It went to shat when they put Britney Spears and the purple tele-tubbie on the front cover.

4. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

It's a complete joke.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Milk

Milk

RS is a joke but really is it surprising the opinions on certain bands would change when the staff is obviously entirely different than the one they had in the 70s?

7. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Used to be cool. Now it's a rag.

8. Rocker949

Rocker949

"Mad" magazine has way more credibility and journalistic integrity.

9. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

I don't know of a single person I respect who has ANY respect for Rolling Stone magazine, which is really a self-congratulatory exercise for "look at me, I'm so cool I don't have to try" elitists suffering from delusions of adequacy.

I wouldn't use it for toilet paper as my *55 would suddenly start calling itself Jann Wenner and reveling in all that came out of it... which is PRECISELY how the whole nasty rag started, anyways.

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    Rolling what?

11. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

shhhh...someone will on here will just tell you that you don't "get" pop music like kanye west lol

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I have an electronic subscription so I only pay around a buck a month. There may be one good article a month. I usually read it in 15 minutes cover to cover. I don't really take anything they say seriously in many case. Especially the cd reviews.

Example: RS reviewed the last Flea/Thom Yorke Atoms for Peace CD a while back. The review was sickeningly glowing. You would have sworn it was one of the best CDs ever released. I bought the CD and it is one of the most self indulgent, droning pieces of $h!t I have ever heard (and I am a big RHCP fan and don't mind Radiohead). So terrible that I threw the disc out the window on the highway in disgust as it was giving me a migraine.

fraublugher likes this.
  13. modulusman

modulusman

The reason I read Rolling Stone is the non music articles. Matt Taibbi has written some great articles on politics and finance. The latest issue had an article about Heroin addiction in Vermont and an interview with James Spader.

cdef, Gluvhand, bswag and 1 other person like this.
  14. Itzayana

Itzayana

Yeah we keep gettin' richer but we can't get our pittcher on the cover of a Rollin' Stone.

It's an okay non-musician's music magazine. Like most products in the publishing world, it was pretty good in the early years when it was a quasi underground pub and then hit the mat when the corporations took control. Haven't read it in many years.

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's a magazine that still has a decent number of subscribers and over the years the content of the magazine has changed to accommodate its subscriber base it's just a music magazine how credible does it have to be? and I have personally never bought any music based on some magazine writers review it's all personal opinion.

Machiavelli likes this.
  16. Rocker949

Rocker949

How credible does it have to be? Way more credible than it currently is for me to take it seriously.

17. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

OP: Your opinion of RS is not uncommon. Like some have said - "used to be good, now it's a rag" The publication has been poor for many years now.

18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I thought it was more about gossips and starting rumor about music stars ... not really about the music.

19. newmusicmichael

newmusicmichael

Yeh, no surprise really. Rolling Stone is an after-the-fact type of magazine, they only pay attention to artists who have already had some success. Much like many radio stations do. I haven't bothered picking up an issue in a couple of decades.

Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  20. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

+1, Taibbi is a smart cat! I'm happy when RS shows up in my mailbox, my opinion differs from theirs on music sometimes, but no big deal.

cdef and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  21. Pajama_Bottoms

Pajama_Bottoms

A classic rock fan who doesn't like a rap artist? Watch out everyone, we have a rebel on our hands

Gluvhand and bswag like this.