1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My P-Bass Purchase Experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sm49341, Feb 11, 2014.

1. sm49341

sm49341

Thanks to so many here on TB for information on purchasing my next bass. It helped me make the best decisions for myself, and my new bass is incredible.
    I have been playing an Ibanez SR300FM for about 4 years, pretty actively in a working band. P-J pickup setup. I liked the slim neck and tonal ranges available with the active circuitry. I dont think the pickups were active but there is a battery, and a small circuit board behind the covers. It has served me well.
    The things I liked were also a problem. The tone knobs would changed my volume outputs significantly, highs were rather ridiculous set at medium. The thin neck has become detrimental, due to rheumtoid arthritis issue. (I'm 46) I need that hand to open up with a bigger neck.
    A P-Bass is what I wanted. I wanted that sound, that chunky neck, that simplicity, that look. I decided I liked white w blk pickgd best. I walked into the music store (not a national chain) and there hung one. It was an American Standard Special, $624. I thought the bridge was a little simplistic, but if you look back, thats what they used. It had the grease bucket circuit. I brung my old bass into the store to compare, running just the P pickup. The Fender was much punchier, full tone, and the tone knob had zero effect on overall volume. Sweet I'll take it. but lets just look at others. I played a bunch. Some of the Squires sounded real good. (Maybe a little better, but....the fretwork was jagged and awfu, mexi's kinda similiar). Then I see a Mystic Blue P-bass hanging there. I plug it in, WOW. This sounds awesome. Full rich, round tone. I play some simple country bass line and it basically sounds just like the album. I play fast riffs and they are just cleaner, cant really describe why, maybe it was the setup, maple neck, not sure. I'm thinking, I will never forgive myself If I walk away from this. Looking at the sticker it was the new American Standard upgraded with custom shop pups. I played all the basses including my old one for the next 3 hours. My guitar player just happened into the store, he also concluded the blue bass had the sound. it was marked down to $875, no blems, nothing, beautiful. I thought it over all day Sunday, took a vacation day Monday, and went and got it. The case it came with was great as well, tsa certified flight. All this, on sale, and one happy customer and bassist. (sorry, last one in store)
    Great bass but not your white color? Well the color has grown on me, and I really like it. You dont see it every day. My stance on that: Its my color, and I will make the color awesome. I feel like a boss the that headstock. 28 years in the making. No pic yet, crappy lighting.
  2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

No pic no bass :0>
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

price sounds nice!
  4. harleyman888

harleyman888

a p bass is the only bass that feels right in my hands. I can't play any other.
  5. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Mystic blue, maple neck and a black guard would look awesome by the way... you can pick up a black guard and put it on yourself.

Congrats! I'm one of the P bass faithful here, welcome to the club!
  6. sm49341

sm49341

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392177488.097720.jpg ok here's a pic o my bass. Man I love playing this thing. I finally get to join the pbass club
  7. sm49341

sm49341

Yeah I have been considering pick guards. Black is cool. Tortoise is cool in its own weird way too.
    This is not my second bass, its my 5th i've owned. I played a Black Hondo in '86, quickly moved to a White peavey T-45,, then went to a Black Gibson G3 Grabber. That was a nice player, but I hated the sound it had. I owned that for 22 years, about 15 years of that I had quit active bands. Restarted gigging in 2010, Tired of the Gibbys sound, I moved to an Red Flame Maple Ibanez for the slim neck, and active EQ. And now The Fender.
  8. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

Sweet, man, killer bass. Love the color and the maple board.
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Love the bass love the story congrats she is a beauty enjoy and don't forget about some flats :)
  10. xroads

xroads

If it sounds good, I don't care about the color. To me, it'a about the music, not the looks.

Congratulations on the new bass!
  11. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

Glad to hear that you found one that spoke to you, and you didn't let it get away! Sweet! And... we need some pictures though. It's just a technicality, but we wouldn't be doing our job if we didn't ask for pictures.

Congrats!

-RB