1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My PA build journey. Small w/ big sound!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by gene beauchamp, Mar 15, 2014.

1. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

I've building slowly as I got good deals. Goal is big sound at lower volume. I like the band miked up and don't go for vocals on a stick. The main thing I still have to get is one more Crest 2.0.

Crest 2.0 bridged for subs
    Crest 2.0 split for top mains and monitors
    2 4 ch. gates for drums
    Reverb for snare Behringer duel 15, half for monitors and other half to eq kick drum
    DBX driverack w/ xover for mains
    Tc Helicon pedal for my vocals
    I keep my bass amp in rack because I am the singer also
    All cords are color coded for quick hookup
    As you can see by the mic drawer I am a nut for organization.
    The faster I set up/breakdown the faster I get home to family.
    Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. gene beauchamp

More pics. I bought a cheap keyboard stand and cut it down so it fit in front lid to double as a table. Also the mixer is Alesis Studio 32 16 channel

Attached Files:

3. gene beauchamp

The mains are single 12 and horn and single 18 on each side.

4. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

I accomplished most of that with a Mackie DL1608 mixer, QSC tops and subs and a band that left their amps and wedges at home and went direct. Mighty light and quite sonically loud. still use percussion drums.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

7. gene beauchamp

Yeah but I got my board for 100 bucks and I got the drums compressed and gated so they are tight and pound. I never made the move to powered speakers. I was figured if something blows you lose your amp and speaker. I do have super high end jbl, not jrx stuff.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Your setup looks good. I am not that patient. You show great restraint being able to wait for just the right deal when getting components for your PA. I would want it all NOW and just pull out the credit card. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. gene beauchamp

I got most of this stuff horse trading over a year. Almost free when all is said and done.

10. modulusman

modulusman

What model is your super high end JBL.:confused:

11. gene beauchamp

JBL ASB7118 subs with custom tops with single 2206 speakers.

12. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I think that I am afflicted with your same disease: GAS! Okay let's cut to the chase, what do you want for all of it? ;)

fnord!

13. gene beauchamp

It is some kind of sickness indeed. I'm up now soldering mic cables to shorten them for the drums. I should be sleeping.

14. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

ah, the sweet sweet smell of solder
    go to bed, soldier
    fnord!

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Very similar to my set-up...including the Odyssey box and pop-up kitchen table. Good call on all the components, especially the DriveRack. Do center / cluster your subs, though.

This is fun, no? You learn a lot about the interaction amongst components when you do it yourself.

Riis

16. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

So do I, but this isn't about you or me.

Nicely thought out rig OP, I still have a way to go before I get my rack as well thought out and neatly organised as you do. I'll definitely be stealing some of your ideas.

17. gene beauchamp

Thanks, I need to show the back. I have it set up with speakons that are color coded for quick hookup. Also a speakon power cable.

18. gene beauchamp

Rear panel, Color coded,sealed and protected. I don't want people digging inside the rack. Back door covers the connections.

Attached Files:

19. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Yeah...that's exactly what I want. I run a Behringer X32 Rack mixer and want to configure all the inputs on a couple of snakes, one to stage left, one to stage right, and all the outputs and power just as you've done...so that the whole thing has the versatility of a pro rig but the convenience of a mixer amp.

Nice Job!

20. gene beauchamp

I did rear snake for drums guitar and drum vocals. I did a front snake for all front vocals and keys. Clean stage.

21. theStink

theStink

It's a neat setup, there's some room to grow there. If you're planning on running sound for anyone other than your band there are some basic requirements you need to hit. When you're mixing your own band the equipment requirements are about 1/2 what it takes to do any other band. Their needs may be far different than yours.

Bottlenecks in the rig:
    Mixer: get rid of that awful alesis studio 32! If you're going analog then pick up a mix wiz.
    No 15 band eq's. Pick up a 31 band stereo for mains and one channel for each monitor mix (unless it's in ears)
    Lights, got any?

The bottom drawer is great for gak, basic stuff. I wouldn't bother using it for mics, use a separate case, you'll need the drawer for little stuff that's easily lost.

Put your amps in a small rack (eq's at FOH), use a patch panel on the back for outputs. That rack is pretty heavy as is. Besides you need to be able to mix from 75' back at times, so get a 100' snake.

Hope that helps.