1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Pedal Board Build

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I built a pedal board for myself in 2005, but there are too many problems with it to mention here. Some of the major goals for this new board include:
    *ease of transport (wheels and handle)
    *hiding all the spagetti wiring (keeping it neat)
    *ease in set up with as little bending as possible
    *functionality: ease of pedal usage, outlet for an external fan
    *stability

Design:
    *The pedal board surface lay at about a 20- 30 degree angle and 24" wide X 15.75" deep. It would be made from two 1 X 3 and four 1 X 2 dado with two 1 X 2 to the far right and left
    *The surface will rest on the base of the exterior box and hinged between the back of the pedal surface and the back of the bottom half of the exterior box.
    *The bottom exterior box will have another 3-4" to the left to plug in my tuner, Eden amp controller, one wired bass input, one output to the amp and a male electrical jack for the power.
    *The bottom exterior box will have a single female outlet on the right side for an external fan (for me)

First picture in the next posting showing a paper layout of the pedal board surface with my pedals.

2. Bassmanbob

Here is the paper layout of my pedals on the pedal board surface. The near and far boards are the 1X3 and the middle four boards will be 1X2s. This picture does not show the right and left 1X2s that will bind them all together.

[​IMG]

Pedal order: Two Line6 G50 receivers (one goes to the Boss Bass EQ which then goes to the Road Rage ABC pedal) and the other goes directly to the RR ABC pedal), then one of the inputs described above (not shown) will go to the last (C) input of the Road Rage ABC pedal. From there, the order of the pedals, as of now, goes: Road Rage ABC --> EX Micro POG --> Analogman Chorus --> DiscomBobulator (may be replaced by a Source Audio BEF Pro) --> Akai Deep Impact --> Neutriks output on the left side to go to my Eden amp (not shown)

Also: *The Boss tuner is not part of the pedal chain as I have a tuner out line from my amp to the tuner.
    *The three black things are a clock (not yet purchased), The Eden amp controller for Mute and Channel selector (bottom right) and the Road Rage ABC pedal (I took this picture prior to purchasing it).
    *A double light and mounting plate (to the right of the Boss EQ) to illuminate my board and the set list on the floor

3. EricssonB

EricssonB Supporting Member

Subbed. I'm scheming the same project right now.

4. Bassmanbob

Here are pictures of the wood I am using to make the pedal board surface. The 1X2s are campaign sign posts that were never used. (First picture. Yes, he won)

[​IMG]

Second picture includes the cut to size 1X3s and 1X2s with dado routing layed out to show the routing.
    [​IMG]

Third picture shows the pedal board surface roughly together prior to gluing
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmanbob

BTW: This is going to be a long drawn out thread. The above four photos show about a month's worth of work. I've since glued the pedal surface and sanded it due to one warped piece of wood and I have most of the bottom exterior box cut but not permanently attached.

7. ccouch7

ccouch7

Cool, can't wait to see how it progresses!!

8. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
  9. change-jug

change-jug

Wow! I like the way you notched out all the slots for your horizontal planks. Seems like that will add a lot of strength to the frame.

10. Bassmanbob

Here is a picture of the outer four pieces of the pedal board surface being glued.

[​IMG]

11. Bassmanbob

And here are the bottom and top pieces for the outer box cut (they are clamped together so they'd be identical) I forget the length and width, but I think it is 28" X 16.75". BTW: the outer box is being made of 1/2" plywood.

[​IMG]

I need to get my table saw going. Cutting these outer box pieces with a jig saw with a 2X4 as a guide is time consuming.

12. Bassmanbob

Here, I cut the back bottom piece for the outer box and applied the hinge to the pedal board surface. In this picture the base of the outer box is to the left, the back piece (28.5" X 5.5") in the middle and the pedal surface (upside down) to the right.

[​IMG]

This picture shows the back piece propped up on the outer box base and the pedal surface in place. (nothing is glued or screwed)

[​IMG]

13. Bassmanbob

Here, I've cut the front piece for the bottom part of the outer box (1 1/8" X 28.5") and a 1 X 2 to elevate the front part of the pedal board. I did this because the 1 X 3 pedal surface piece closest to me (the front) was warped, and I didn't know that until AFTER I glued it together. So the right side of the pedal surface was lower than the left side. I had to shave down the right side of this elevating piece so the entire front edge of the pedal surface would rest on the bottom of the box. This picture does not show this 1 X 2 shaved down on the right side, but you can see some separation of the left side of the leading edge of the pedal surface in the second picture (also prior to me shaving down the right side of the elevation piece).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sowegafly

sowegafly

Lookin good!! Keep us posted. I love these kinda threads!!

15. Bassmanbob

OK. This is beginning to take shape. I've now added the far right and far left side pieces for the bottom half of the outer box. The right side will support the right side of the pedal board surface (as seen in the second and third pictures). The left side that seems empty, is empty right now, but will be the place for my power supply and 4 Neutriks inputs/outputs. Two inputs: one for a hard line in and another for the tuner to the board. Two outputs: one to send the bass signal to my Eden amp and one for the Eden Channel and Mute Switch (as seen in the very first picture in this thread). I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to build this part of the board. Hey... it's a work in progress.

First picture front view (unglued or screwed)

[​IMG]

Second picture shows the support on the right side for the pedal board surface. The right side is laying down to show the support.

[​IMG]

And the third picture shows the pedal board surface lifted

[​IMG]

16. scotch

Disclosures:
    Looking great! Be careful of weight, though... It's looking robust, but might get crazy loaded up with pedals and power supply.... Still, you're kicking some pedalboard arse! :bassist:

17. Bassmanbob

Yes. Weight is a concern.
    1. I did use 1/2" 4 ply plywood instead of the 5/8" I was going to use. I am surprised how much of a difference that made.
    2. I used the pine wood for the pedal board surface instead of the plywood to decrease weight as well.
    3. The outer box will have a pull out handle and built-in wheels as well. So the only lifting will be in and out of the car.

But concerns about weight are in the back of my mind. Hey, I don't mind if I have to make improvements. I enjoy the creativity of the project and working with wood.

18. scotch

Disclosures:
    Good choices on the thinner ply! I used the same on a big board & it did help a lot.

19. Bassmanbob

Update: Company went home! I can start working on this again this weekend!!! :hyper:

Looking forward to the smell of saw dust this weekend.

I can mention the electronics a bit though.
    1. I bought a black marine electrical outlet cap for the female single outlet to be placed on the right side of the bottom box. It also has a rubber cover to flap over and cover the outlet when carting the entire unit around. This is for the much needed external fan here in South Florida.
    2. I will power most of my pedals with a Voodoo Labs PPII. That will be mounted on the underside of the pedal board surface.
    3. I already mentioned the 4 Neutriks plugs and what they are for.
    4. Power will be either by a computer male outlet or twist outlet in that left hand area open for the Neutriks plugs. I have an electrician friend who will let me know which would be best and what guage of power cable I'll need. Also: one or two electrical strips will be mounted to the bottom box.
    5. I'm planning on purchasing Canare GS-6 wire for my cable from the board to the Eden input. 1 right angle and 1 straight G&H black and gold connectors. I'm thinking 36 feet. About 25 feet to the back of the cabinets, another 5 feet up from the floor to the back of the cabinets and another 3-5 feet to the front of the amp. Yeah. I know that adds up to 33-35 ft, but 36 just sounds like a good number.
    6. Another inexpensive 1/4" instrument cable to the tuner (about 30 ft)
    7. 30 ft Speaker cable for the Eden Mute and Channel switch with 1 right angle and 1 straight 1/4" stereo connectors (it requires stereo wire)
    8. About 30 ft of power cable (must consult friend for guage)

I want to snake the cables in # 5- 8 so it looks neat. I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to do that, but multiple strips of shrink wrap comes to mind. I've heard that snaking instrument cable and power cable together can cause unwanted noise/interference. Anyone know anything about that?

Progress pictures to follow as I progress.

20. scotch

Disclosures:
    I have bundled power and signal cable together with negligible noise added - however it is recommended & I always try to route power separately from signal cables. Crossing at 90' angles is recommended. It's not a huge deal, but doesn't hurt!

21. Bassmanbob

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends... finally an update.

Here are a couple of pictures of the left side, or electronics section, of the pedal board surface. I've thought about making this a fixed triangular box, but if I do that, I won't be able to get to anything if it needs fixing or modifying. So the electronics surfacewill be attached and swing up and down with the pedal board surface. Again... nothing has been secured together and finish sanded. The fan will rest under the electronics surface with a metal fan cover on top of the electronics surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]