1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Ray 35 Just Arrived...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMaster4s, May 14, 2009.

1. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

I'm at work, so I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but from the two minutes I've looked at it, everything seems good. I'll get familiar with it tonight and post a review tomorrow. Purchased from Musician's friend in the Honey burst finish. It looks absolutely beautiful.

:hyper:

2. Freelancer

Freelancer

Congrats. Looking forward to it. Better have lots of pictures! :)

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

3. stflbn

stflbn

Ray35 in Honeyburst is the only one I'm interested in.

Still fighting the urge... winning... oh wait, maybe not... ya, i'm still winning...

4. With Lime

With Lime

Those darn Sterling by musicman are driving me nuts! The GAS is unbearable, but I just bought a MIM Jazz and that was hard enough on the budget. Still as much GAS as these reviews give me, they are very handy, looking forward to reading more, and yes, lots of pics!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johnius

Johnius

I've been dying to see one of those reviewed. As long as the American-built specs are followed I would bet that you just got yourself one great deal. :bassist:

And to echo the previous sentiments, if you don't come with pics don't come at all.

Does it come strung with Slinkies?

7. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Yup equipped with Slinkies. I'll get pics tonight if the wife lets me borrow her camera. I have a 4-string HH stingray, so I'll be comparing it to that.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I can't do it now, but I will get a SBMM Sterling or SR5 as soon as I can.:hyper:

9. bstringkyle

bstringkyle

nice bass, cannot wait to here what you have to say about it

10. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

I wouldn't mind having one of those Stingrays.

11. portmanteau

portmanteau

Hope you like your new bass!

Last week, I played a Stingray-5 HH and fell in love with it. I didn't like the price tag, but, hey, no relationship is perfect, right?

The Sterling by Music Man might be more up my alley, pricewise. Question, though: do they make RAY35s with double humbuckers? Or will I have to get an actual Stingray to get those?

12. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of one of those stingrays to prove the existence of said bass :)

13. Freelancer

Freelancer

They are only offered right now with the single humbucker. I don't know if they'll go HH, HS, or maybe even a Bongo in the future. Only time will tell. I'd probably explode from GAS if they did though. Barely containing it as it is now.

Work that magic on the wife for the camera. Many are depending on you for visual sustenance!

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Look forward to hearing how it compares to your HH :)

15. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

And especially after a week or two when the honeymoon has worn off. :)

16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

17. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Congrats, i'm really liking those SBMM basses.
    Get your camera!

18. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

I'm hoping in a year or two they'll crank out a couple of HH models. Then I'd be very interested.

Always wanted a stingray, don't have the $$$$.

19. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

You can buy a used Stingray for the price of one of these if you look around.

20. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

The long awaited pics:

http://community.webshots.com/album/572092877uAqcFL?vhost=community

The quality of this bass has truly blown me away. U played it through a GK MB2-500 into a GK 410RBH. The sheer power of this bass is remarkable.

The finish was flawless. I especially like the nice touch of a matching headstock.

One thing that bothered me is that the EQ knobs are backwards compared to my HH

Everything was rock solid, and I wouldn't have guessed it was built overseas if I didn't already know.

Simply put, this is on a level very close to the American stingrays. I have two shows next weekend where I plan to use the Ray 35 exclusively. I think I will have a better idea of the capabilities of the bass after that.

Sorry for the choppy review, I'm at work and am running in all directions. Any specific questions, feel free to ask! :hyper:

21. Xechs

Xechs

Looks, good! I ordered one in black a few days ago, I'll add pics next week to this thread when I get it.