1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My Realist?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by showfeet, Dec 27, 2012.

1. showfeet

showfeet

Hi everyone,
    I am having trouble with my realist. I went for about a month period of only playing acoustic shows, and using microphones. I went to a jam session with a drummer, tried to plug my realist in, and barely any sound, and it always cuts out. What sound is there is super distorted, like a heavy metal bass guitar. I don't have a preamp, but it has never done this before. I've tried cables, amps, and ect. Is my realist dead? What can I do about this? I was thinking of getting an EAP soon, anyway, but I'm a student with not a ton of money. Post your thoughts. Thanks.
  2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Check to see if the bridge foot has moved or tilted but you probably need a new pickup. If the fit is good it's dead. You might want to try another cable but it's probably the pickup.
  3. showfeet

showfeet

Yeah, the fit is good. As a sound guy, I do own a Audio Technica Pro 35. If I where to mount that from the F hole, and get a pre amp, would that work well? I know that feedback and bleed would be a problem.
  4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I used an Audio Technica ATM-35 with the DPA Bass holder with a bigband (other can clip it to an adjuster, but this doesn't work with my bridge). I have a XLR to instrument adapter for the power adapter and this works fine with an amp.
    Of course there is a limit for amplification, but putting the amp a bit away or directing it away from the bass body helps to get a bit more out of the amp before feedback starts. And digging in more gets more out of the amp, so if you can play a bit harder (and probably also closer to the bridge at the end of the fingerboard) this might help.

My mic sits about 2 cm above the top a few cm "south" of the bridge.
    Of course there was some bleeding of the drums, but it was acceptable.
  5. Michael Case

Michael Case

They do die after a while. My realist had the same problem. The wire between the jack and the pick up just lost the connection.
  6. showfeet

showfeet

Thanks so much guys!

And doublemidi, can you post a link of a mic/instrument adapter? You are helping me so much.
    Thanks
  7. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Not during the next 7 days, I'm away from the bass and microphone at the moment.

It is a black box about 10 cm or 4 inches long, containing a 9 volts battery, a special connector for the microphone cable, an XLR connector and a power switch with off, bass damping and full range positions. There is also a belt clip mounted at the box.

It is the older version of the actual Audio Technica microphones, that is no longer available. I got it used for a good price and since the high frequencies are more attenuated than on the DPA, the drum/cymbal bleeding is not as bad as with the DPA. The sound quality is not as good as with a studio condenser mic or the DPA, but much better than the signal from a pickup. And it seems to be rather feedback resistive.