My Stingray thinks it's a chainsaw!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rswelling, Apr 5, 2014.

1. rswelling

rswelling

So this is an odd one, I took this (2002 stingray) out after a year or so of not playing it with the intent of selling or trading...plug it in and it does this for about 30 sec. (noise seems to stop after short time). I tried dropping in a new battery...no dice. Any ideas why this is happening, before I take it to the shop? Here is a video of the chainsaw in action.

enjoy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxN6s4SqigE

Cheers,
    Eric
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

ewww! sounds like the preamp might be shot.
  3. David Jayne

David Jayne

Notice how the sound rises in pitch immediately after you switch the amp on? Does this always happen? If so it's your amp not your bass.
  4. rswelling

rswelling

Eeeeww is right! thnx for the response. Off to the shop I guess heh.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rswelling

rswelling

Not the amp, does it when plugged into my Bassman as well...
  7. dune2k

dune2k

It's the Atari amp, it can only produce chiptune(ish) sounds. ;)

Ok, now for real: Open the whole electronics compartment and pull everything out or check for unwanted connections. Friend of mine had this happen in his (SUB) 'ray and fried his battery.
    If that doesn't help try wiggeling the cables around.
    If that also doesn't help you'll probably have major problems with the preamp or the pickup.
    To check the pickup get some metal clips, solder them to some wire and solder the ends to a mono phone plug. Plug the plug into your amps input. Now search the two wires coming from your pickup and connect the metal clips to them. If the pickup is OK, you should get some sound and no hum/buzzing out of it.

When searching for the wires coming from the pickup be carful not to connect the clips to the wires coming from the battery...you could kill stuff this way...
  8. rswelling

rswelling

Awesome thnx for the detailed helpful info, I did open it up and wiggle the wires around a bit in an attempt to...you know "take it apart put it back together" fix it. sadly no luck.
  9. dune2k

dune2k

Sometimes parts (esp. the phone jack) move around and create shorts...sometimes they don't. :|

Good luck fixing your ray!
  10. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

maybe the NSA hijacked it?
  11. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Check the jackplug connection to the preamp board,I,ve had the solder joints crack on the board before due to the jack socket getting pulled to the side if the cable goes tight.
    They are hard to spot,simply resolder them if that,s the problem.
    Done this about 10 years ago and no problems since.