My Strap broke during a song!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Darknut, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Was at rehearsal last night jamming away and the plastic end on my Planet Wave "Planet Lock" strap just broke ... luckily I caught my Pbass before it hit the floor.

I hope it was just a fluke because I like how those "Planet Lock" straps work.

Will prob buy another .... or maybe Planet Waves will give me one.

Never a dull moment :)

[​IMG]
  2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Buy one or two really high quality straps and then invest in Dunlop Straploks. That's what I do, never had a problem since.
  3. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Had high end strap locks for years .... had them fail as well.

Planet waves is replacing this one & they made the new ones stronger ... the concept of these is brilliant.
  4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Plastic ends like that are going to fail in time. It's just inevitable.

I've been using leather straps for at least the past 12 - 15 years. The strap peg openings are usually pretty tight. I've never had a strap break, or a strap peg slip loose.....even without strap locks.

When it comes to straps you get what you pay for. I've got leather straps for just about every bass I own, and they've all been incredibly reliable.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    The plastic will eventually fatigue and fail. Go straplocks or just get a strap with leather ends. No way will I ever use a strap with plastic ends on it.
  7. hover

hover

Yup. Thick leather strap and a cam lock straplok (if I feel the strap has wear) that fits over a standard strap pin for me. My basses all are Dunlop ready (as I was given a few sets of pins) but otherwise regular straps.
  8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

man, i'm sorry, but that thing looks super cheap! that plastic would quickly fail in my hands. :(
  9. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Yup, my guitarist uses those planet waves straps and I may trust them on lighter guitars, but strap locks and a nice strap aren't that much more. Money better spend IMO.
  10. Rebop

Rebop

I don't understand why more people just don't use the Stanley Clarke method.

Screw the strap directly into the bass with some big washers to hold it on. Done.
  11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

All suggestions for straploks in this thread would not have solved the OPs issue... look where the issue occured.
    The strap broke, any method of securing the strap to the bass is moot in regards to this situation.
  12. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Leather straps are really nice for this exact reason. They are pretty much impossible to break. And who needs strap buttons? I just use a huge screw and secure the strap to the bass so that it wont come off unless I take the screws off.
  13. warnergt

warnergt

Ditch the plastic.
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Leather strap with heavy enough leather to hold its shape. Levys makes good ones. Add rubber washers or strap locks if you jump around.

A strap with an end like sewn onto the strap material is just waiting to fail. Sooner or later the plastic end moving around will cut through the thread.
  15. rtslinger

rtslinger

[​IMG] leather strap large washer or I use brass id tags screwed into the body
  16. Monkey

Monkey

I always bolt a leather strap onto the bass. No worries.
  17. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Will probably happen again. :eyebrow:

I've had the same Levi's leather strap since I started playing. 40$ for many years of service is no where near as expensive as saving 12 bucks on a strap and spending 300 replacing a neck when it fails
  18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Any plastic on a strap (except for the buckle) = inferior goods.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never understood this. For years, (and I mean YEARS) I've used a leather strap, and I've simply put it on the bass. (or guitar)

No Straplock

No washers

Nothing.

I've never had a problem.

What am I doing wrong?
  20. jaywa

jaywa

I watched a mint 1958 P-Bass fall from our worship team bassist's waist onto a solid oak floor under much the same circumstances. I thought he was gonna faint and I almost did too.
  21. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Get a good thick leather strap! :hyper: