1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My streamer stage has a problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sindreloebing, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sindreloebing

Sindreloebing

2. kevteop

kevteop

Get a professional opinion, but to me it looks like that crack probably goes through to the truss rod. Has it taken a big impact on the back of the headstock?

It's going to make a big difference to the value of it unfortunately.

It's a shame because it's a beautiful bass, I particularly like that era Stage I with the wenge neck laminates and the 2-piece bridge, I think they're the best-looking basses Warwick ever made.
  3. Sindreloebing

Sindreloebing

definitely, thanks for your opinion, i just found out the history of the bass so i m not sure, but yes i ll take it to a professionist, meanwhile any opinions are welcome.
    thanks again
  4. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

I may be wrong, but I can't see any sort of impact causing a crack like that. It looks like badly seasoned wood to me. I'd send those photos to Warwick and see what they say.

I know wenge is a very popular wood with guitar makers but I've never used it. Some years ago I went to a local exotic wood supplier who had literally tons of wenge in a lot of different sizes. EVERY piece I looked at had cracks like that in it.

The nearsest music shop to me has an Ibanez SR5005E like this one:

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR5005E

The front has several cracks in it. It's been on the wall a long time.
  5. octaedro7

octaedro7

Funny, I´m familiar with both, a crack exactly there and I´m a happy owner of a SR5006 :).
    No cracks whatsoever on mine though! Wengue necks sound so nice...

I share Dave´s opinion out of experience. The structure is not significantly compromised.
    I have a Peavey Cirrus, wallnut/maple neckthrough, that developed a crack just as yours. In my case I´d say it´s due to an excessively thin back, or saying it differently, a too deep TR cavity (Cirruses have barely any volute, as seem to be the case of your WW). The crack on mine was perhaps a tad shorter than yours.
    So I took it to a Luthier and he did a good job covering the affected area with ebony and maple. He routed a channel along the whole crack and then he glued in place a piece of ebony. Then he fabricated a volute by glueing a headstock back plate consisting of a maple piece over an ebony veneer. The result is aesthetically fine and I´m pretty sure the bass will never have problems there.

But as kevteop pointed out, the commercial value is unfortunately damaged. I haven´t sold mine because the bass is more than the money that I´ll probably get from it. Although I may end up doing it anyhow as I need to finance my own creations :)
  6. Sindreloebing

Sindreloebing

Thank you a lot gentlemen!
    Actually i was actually thinking that it might be just because the wood is old and maybe this happened because of humidity or dryness, but it is definitely so much better when you hear it from someone else :)
    I will try to sort it out soon, and i ll let you know if you were right :)
  7. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Of course I can't be sure, I can't see the bass in person and try to check how deep the crack is BUT I think it can be repaired and it will be invisible. But of course it must be done well, by a good repairman. Nothing too hard but the crack should be cleaned and the guy should see if it can be closed with clamps or not.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think I see some material in the crack. If someone has attempted a repair and there's old glue in there, it will need to be cleaned out before you can have it repaired.

I don't see any reason why it can't be repaired by a pro.